Question about my f250 tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about my f250 tires

So currently I'm running 35 12.5 16r bfg all-terrains, and it's time to get a new set of tires. From what I've researched they are slowly discontinuing the 16.5 so would it be better to go 16" or 17"? What are the differences? And should I stick to bfgs or something else? I use my truck as a daily driver and sometimes I'd have some fun. No mud or snow where I live, sunny vegas.

Last question, I just recently bought my truck and the steering wheel is off by a little. If I straighten out my steering wheel my truck swerves left, and in order to go straight I have to keep the wheel at a 45 degree right. Can I fix this with an alignment after getting new tires? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First, an alignment by a good shop should fix the steering wheel issue (assuming nothing major is bent underneath the truck).

Second, I would suggest going with 16" wheels, personally. It is much more common (on these older trucks) to see a 16" tire. As wide of a tire as you are running - assuming you meant 12", a factory wheel would still work fine. I always see stock 8 Lug Ford wheels on craigslist even up here in Montana. So I would assume a place with some population you'd have no problem finding a set.

Welcome to the .org! Any and all questions you have can usually be found previously asked around here. It is a great source for information on these trucks!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On the actual tires it says 12.5, and I only have about $500 right now, should I get the first 2 changed then come back for the rear tires?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Crap, I need to make a correction - I was having a brain fart. I thought the factory wheel was 8" wide, but it looks from quick research to be 7". You probably shouldn't put a tire that wide on a 7" wide wheel, so you'd be looking at buying some aftermarket wheels, or going with a little narrower tire.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM

And honestly, I'd try to do all 4 at once. Poke around Craigslist a bit, you'd be surprised at what you can find sometimes - Wheel/Tire sets complete for good prices!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh I'm a little confused haha, so for sure I'd have to change my wheels also? I don't really want to change the look of my truck as she sits pretty right now.. So how much am I looking at to spend? And should I get new tires for the spare as well?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM

If you're getting new rims, go for 17's. There is a much better selection of tires as far as brands and sizes for 17's than 16's
I like the smaller rim look, but when you consider that no trucks were sold with 16's since '04, and look at different mfgs websites, 17s or even 18's are the way to go.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I ended up getting 17" wheels, atx ledges, and 35" bfgs all terrains, what pressure should I keep them at? And when should I rotate the tires? Also in the front there's like a little bump on both front tires, the tires are new and the guy just said my engine is too heavy and it's normal, is it?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j90reaper View Post
So I ended up getting 17" wheels, atx ledges, and 35" bfgs all terrains, what pressure should I keep them at? And when should I rotate the tires? Also in the front there's like a little bump on both front tires, the tires are new and the guy just said my engine is too heavy and it's normal, is it?
Do the chalk test to see when is good air pressure. I'd rotate them every 5k. What load range are the tires? Your better off if you get load range D's than C's.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is the chalk test? And how would I know if I got C or D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.