COMPUTER QUESTION??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
COMPUTER QUESTION???

I do not have any 99 to 03 trucks right now to look at so I am asking for your help.

I just bought a 1999 FORD CREW CAB 2WD, someone lifted and added some high dollar tires and wheels to then they sprayed the body with bedliner mess too. Here is what I am looking for, they had some sort of chip in this truck with a turn knob on the dash. I am guessing either when they traded it in they removed the chip out of the computer and it is setting there with nothing in the slot.... Does something need to be put back or can it be left empty? The stuff I have used on my other trucks never went into the computer box itself, alway used the OBDII conector or plugged in under the hood so I am lost.
Thanks,
This is a 7.3L diesel, automatic truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM

After further checking this truck has had a TS Performance 6 pos. chip in it and someone has removed the part that goes into the computer of the truck. The truck will not start right now. It turns over good, all the gauges work but will not start.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What exactly does it still have though? I mean, if the rotary switch is gone, and the "part that goes into the computer" is gone? What's left???

Do you get a WTS Light when you first roll-on the Key? (that shows the computer runs...)

To cover that "slot" in the PCM case, there's only a plastic door that you don't actually need.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM

The actual chip that plugs into the computer is gone.
Yes I get a WTS light and all other lights come on that should when turning the key on..... Truck is turning over just not even trying to fire. Have checked the oil level and is full, that is about as far as I got today. Hope to get further into on Monday. Was just starting at the puter to see if I was missing something or not.

Should the tact move when trying to start or not? This one will move up to around 200/300 and stay when turing over.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Tach should move, sounds like you're good to go.

I would wrap some electrical tape to keep any water out of that hole though
Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

I didn't even read the not starting part.

Check the easy things. Fuel pressure, battery voltage, and since the truck has been messed with. Get an ohm meter and check every fuse.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
From my "No Start" list...

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (is it Below 1/4 tank?)

Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? That nut can vibrate off and allow the solenoid going over the valve to slide around. The wires going to the IPR can get brittle, crack, and short together. Make sure the plug & wires look in good shape.

Monitoring the battery voltage is a good idea (as schlutzer suggested). On a '99 if it drops too low the PCM won't even try to start.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks guys, will check your list of items first thing Monday when I get back to work.... Will check fuel level first thing cause the gauge is reading completely full right now and it hard to believe someone would trade it in full. I have found a couple of fuses out so far and buying new batteries Monday just to be sure.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Ok, Still no run.... Checked every single fuse, relay in this truck, did find 1 connector that someone had unplugged on the lower side of the fuel filter housing. Has new fuel pump that is working, has fuel in the filter housing but not completely full.
As much as I hate to say, I did use starting fluid and it does run as long as I am spraying the fluid into it.
Also check to see if there was any codes and nothing was found.
WHAT NOW???
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

If it fires with ether, then it sounds like a fuel related problem. Don't use the ether anymore. What did you use to check codes? Not all readers are equal on these trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.