Will just Any ol' OBDII scanner work? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Will just Any ol' OBDII scanner work?

My Caddy, through the dash display, gives me codes by pushing the heater control buttons in the right order.

I'd love to get these same codes from my '02 F350 (it's all I ever really needed) and see Harbor Freight sells a $39 OBDII scanner.

I'm sure it's a POS but would it dump these same codes from my truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is the way I understand it, there are a bunch of odb2 codes that are the same cross all platforms (cars and trucks and so on) Based on the ODB2 standard. Then there are a bunch of codes that each maker has that are specific to the vehicle or make. The cheep odb2 scanners will only read the standard codes. If you want all the specific codes you need something like auto enginuity, and they aint cheapů I have read about people on here that have a CEL and the cheap code readers (like the one at autozone) say there are no codes found.

My bro in law has a ford focus that has a CEL and the autozone reader tells you its something like a PO 0000 which does not exist.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM

No, the cheap code readers will not do squat. If your just looking for a code reader, check out e-bay or craigslist for a used superchips tuner. Even if its vin locked it will still read codes.

Or you can get this and never look back...

AutoEnginuity PC Scan Tool (USB)
Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 AM

Well that's too bad ....

I guess I never appreciated how nice my cars system is to have!

What sucks is that the difference between reading All the codes and not is just a bit of software, the same reader would do it all if it were just programmed with a little more information.

I see the Autoenginuity interface on eBay for $200 (I bet I could make that ) but it too would only read standard codes without the right software.

Thank You both for educating me I'll keep looking around maybe the vin-locked programmer is a good alternative.

Thanks Again!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i use a 60 dollar code reader at work all the time, normally when it's a manufactuer specific code it'll still tell you what systems at fault....like for a evap code it will say emmisons control fault or something so at least you'd have an idea of whats goin on. Where i work the shop only has 4 working scan tools and like 15 techs...go figure... so i just bought a 60 matco scanner
Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
No, the cheap code readers will not do squat. If your just looking for a code reader, check out e-bay or craigslist for a used superchips tuner. Even if its vin locked it will still read codes.

Or you can get this and never look back...

AutoEnginuity PC Scan Tool (USB)
Are you sure it will still read codes if it is VIN-locked?

The only reason I ask is that I tried to read codes on my buddies 02 7.3(same truck as mine) without returning my truck to stock, and it would not communicate with his truck at all. Not even to read codes. I have an Evolution tho, maybe the Superchips are different?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Well, I hope the Superchips IS different because I just bought one on eBay for $50 (VIN locked).

If not, how does this work? I assume I can send it back to Superchips and they reset it (for a fee)?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Are you sure it will still read codes if it is VIN-locked?

The only reason I ask is that I tried to read codes on my buddies 02 7.3(same truck as mine) without returning my truck to stock, and it would not communicate with his truck at all. Not even to read codes. I have an Evolution tho, maybe the Superchips are different?

Would it turn on? They all should read codes regardless of if they are vin locked...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Well, I hope the Superchips IS different because I just bought one on eBay for $50 (VIN locked).

If not, how does this work? I assume I can send it back to Superchips and they reset it (for a fee)?

It will work fine, no worries. I used mine when I had one on many differant rigs, and used my wifes for her expedition (before we sold it) on my truck all the time,\.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the GREAT tip on a cheap OBD II code reader then! For $50 I'm way ahead of the game I guess

If, in the future, I ever wanted to have this thing unlocked, anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks Again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.