Shop says I need a new PCM and IDM due to tranny swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM
LEARNING AS I GO

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shop says I need a new PCM and IDM due to tranny swap

Ok so i took my truck to the shop to have the GP"S and injectors check well they call me and said that its throwing all kinda codes and said its due to it being swapped to a 6 speed. They said that its showing bad IDM (which i just replaced 2yrs ago) due to having the wrong PCM i guessing from when it was an automatic. I told them that when im going up a slight incline and have to give it alittle more peddle that the CEL with blink here and there but seems to run ok. What do you guys think. Could i just have someone flash/reprogram my pcm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Find another shop...

First, there's no such thing as a "Manual or Auto" IDM.

The PCM IS different, there is of course, no need of the Trans control your PCM is still doing. BUT, First find out what the code is the PCM is setting (if you've seen a CEL) because I'd think anything that PCM was unhappy about, Trans Wise, would result in the "blinking" the OD light.

I honestly don't know what happens if you run an Auto PCM in a Manual Truck,,, but it wouldn't make my first move be to buy another one trying to cure " when im going up a slight incline and have to give it a little more peddle"

LOTS of people have done the Trans Swap, I'm sure somebody with more experience than me will give you the right answer...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
LEARNING AS I GO

Thanks NoRalPh for the quick reply. I sure hope its just a matter of getting it reflashed or something else.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM

i think you can send it in to different vendors who would flash a manual tune on your pcm
then just do the same to your chip if you have one they can reburn
i think dp tuner still flashes pcms
Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM

When I did my conversion I ran with the auto PCM for a little while. Basically out would hiccup under certain load conditions and occasionally flash the check engine light. You should see about getting it reflashed or get a manual PCM. The IDM shouldn't matter
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
LEARNING AS I GO

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah so im gonna pull it and send to DP tuner to have it flashed for a manual maybe even have them put a tune on it also since they only charge like an extra $10 or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.