manual 4x4 in 99 7.3L powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
manual 4x4 in 99 7.3L powerstroke

does anyone know if you can leave the hubs locked in but not have it in 4x4,in other words can you drive as normal in 2 wheel drive with the hubs locked in(manual 4x4) ,but they don't actually lock in untill you shift the stick into 4x4 high or low?if you can do this is it wise?i just get so sick of having to get out to lock it in every time i need 4x4,it's bad enough having to pull over and stop to change the gears manually,oh if only i had one of those buttons to push,lol.thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it wont hurt anything but gas milage as long as you didnt leave it in all the time. Do you want to leave it on all the time or just while wheeling or snow driving?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 PM

if you leave the hubs locked you'll just be spinning the axle shafts, diff and driveshaft so that just = less fuel economy, more wear on components, and more vibration but it wont really hurt anything
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM

on the diesels it really doesnt hurt milage that much but its gonna cause a bit more wear to seals and bearings and such but no it wont hurt anything i away leave mine locked thru the winter months
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM

I drive all winter that way... Not going to hurt a thing. Manual T case is the only way to go...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

in reply to 99BIGRED,would like to leave it locked in all winter but only use it when need to 4x4 or snow driving,just get sick of having to get out and lock it in when i need it through winter.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
leave them locked. I lock mine in and leave it when i start runnin the haul road regular but stay in 2WD till it wont go any more. i also like to lock it in for a few weeks off and on in the summer so i can get it lubed up once in a while.
when i am running the haul road i put on about 750-1000 miles a day sometimes two weeks straight so i get miles on with hubs locked and no problems in my diff or Tcase. hope this helps
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM

shouldnt hurt anything but if your not gonna be using it for awhile no reason to leave them locked, just extra wear on parts
Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The route I take to school leads me through some usually cruddy roads, so I leave em locked. However, I head to work after that which leads me to a 20 mile freeway run, by all rights it should not hurt the components too much. I am hesitant to run at those speeds with them locked though, and be in 2 wheel drive. I agree though it is a pain to get out and unlock them. I supposedly have auto locking/manual hubs, but it never seems like they lock up in the auto position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.