best way to wire cargo/backup lights in a headache rack - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best way to wire cargo/backup lights in a headache rack

Im wiring up a headache rack, with two taillights and two reverse/cargo lights. I plan on using 6 wire trailer wire from the trailer wiring plug in my bed for turn, brake, tail, and reverse lighting, but i dont know the best way to get a cargo light function? Should i tap into the existing cargo light somehow, or would it be better to trace out the reverse sensor and make the reverse lights come on with a switch to have bed lighting? The other possibility would be to make another switched circuit and just run two more wires up to the lights... Which would be the best way to accomplish this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

In this type of example, I would suggest a manual switch relay from battery hot. That allows the lights to be on while you're back there, instead of turning off the lights on a timer. Caution should be used with this option, as you could kill your battery. The second best is to run a battery hot option off of a relay controlled by the existing dome lights.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I ran two separate wires from a battery hot and toggle switch them. I use them a lot so for me I had to have them on a switch.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
Hot from the battery. Use an inline fuse . That's how we do it as upfitters.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So it won't hurt anything to back feed power from the battery into the reverse light circuit in the trailer wiring harness?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmac View Post
So it won't hurt anything to back feed power from the battery into the reverse light circuit in the trailer wiring harness?
I think he means you will do the lights separate like you said as an option. I grounded my two lights to the back rack (just make sure back rack is grounded) and ran one hot wire with inline fuse from a constant hot under the dash to the switch then another wire to the hot on the lights. Very simple.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh ok, I'll just go ahead and wire these as backup lights then probably buy some led tractor work lights to use as cargo lights later on.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmac View Post
Oh ok, I'll just go ahead and wire these as backup lights then probably buy some led tractor work lights to use as cargo lights later on.
Run a separate hot wire. You can use the reverse line as a trigger for a relay, but don't try supplying power to large lights through it, as you could over load the wiring and make an electric fire.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
Mind me asking which cabguard? Sounds like a Ranch Hand. You can run the brake lights, reverse lights and ground directly to the trailer plug. No fuses needed, as they are low draw. If you want cargo lights to work like the OEM, wire them into the OEM cargo lights inside the 3rd brake light housing. If you want them to be on a switch, run a new, fused hot from the battery, and preferably a ground too. If you need any further detailed instructions, don't hesitate to ask. If it were mine, i'd wire them to a switch.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's homemade, looks like a ranch hand but made like a tumbleweed mfg headache rack. I was just trying to figure out a way I could use the same two led lights as cargo and reverse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.