Ive been the victim of a thief... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ive been the victim of a thief...

Back story, the wife, my buddy and his girlfriend and I stopped by the park to take some photos down by the river, gone 20 minutes, get back to the truck and I say "Hey! who left the window down?" as I get closer I notice its busted and stuff is missing. Stole both the girls purses, a bag of clothes, my laptop and my AE. Their phones, keys, wallets and makeup for heaven sakes, are all gone.

Did the usual, called credit card company's, called police etc. Police call today they caught the guy, got most of our stuff back and pressed charges to the full extent of the law. When I left the station he had two felony's and four misdemeanors just from us. He had 8 other purses, tv's, power tools and a lot of other peoples stuff too.

Anyway, I'm looking into alarm systems and just wondering what everyone else uses, I want something that makes a lot of noise. I would also like to have remote start and turbo cool down. Does such a system exist in an all in one package? Ive done some searching but no luck. Also how hard is it to replace the rear driver door glass, maybe a link to a write up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Sucks that it happened, but great that they caught the loser.
Easy sauce man, go buy an off the shelf remote start/alarm combo and have it installed by the shop.
Then get a sweet airhorn setup and tie the wire from the horn solenoid to the alarm sieren.
Thats what i did and it works like a charm.

Feel free to PM me for more info if you need it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Damn. Sorry about your luck.

Alarms don't stop anything. Not even in a rural area. What they stole was simple smash and grab, it took no time at all. A glass place would be the best bet for a replacement. In my experience, they don't charge much for what tehy do. You might save $50 doing it yourself. To me, that's not much for the time saved.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is to not leave $$ items in plain view. That saying really isn't a joke. As a smash and grab, they took what was readily there to grab, nothing else. They weren't stealing the truck, they weren't ganking the stereo (which is also quick, no matter what brand you have), they simply busted a window, grabbed stuff, and were gone.

The best turbo cool down is a stand alone thing. I'm sure there are mixtures available, but the vast majority of systems are designed for gassers, so an included timer would be rare.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM

I agree, with what I've found so far a separate turbo timer would be best, just hoping for a one and done install. My thinking for the loud alarm is that there were several people within 50 to 100 yards of my truck and only one way out of the lot, none of them saw or heard anything, if an alarm would have went off it would be more likely some one would look up at the suv speeding off.

I love the air horn idea, that would really get people looking, and scare the piss out of the sob criminal.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

I'm normally an optimist (not really, I'm a realist), but in the cases of alarms going off, no one cares. Not that they don't care completely, they just care that it's not theirs. Past that, most people don't give a crud. If they cared, they might feel compelled to stop bad things from happening, and society has taught them that "normal" people don't do that. I hate to make it political, but it is. If you stop crime, you face prosecution, if you let it happen, you're golden. My opinion is 100% from my experience of watching people look at a loud noise from a car alarm, then continuing about their business. They only get nosy when the flashy lights show up.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM

That's very true Macon, very true. Thanks for the input guys. Well I guess I'm off to the glass shop in the AM. Then over to the car wash to use the vacuum, yeah the SOB had the decency to toss my window in the bed of my truck, shattered glass everywhere....
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

I don't want to sound the ******* of the group, even though I am, but it is what it is. Alarms are great to let you know something bad is going on. A better investment is to not store expensive **** where it can be ganked.

Once upon a time I had a nice Blazer. It was my trail queen, but also my dd. No top, but nothing of value. They stole my gym clothes (that I forgot about for a week, I was trying the idea of a gym bag) and a carb tune kit. They were kind enough to lock the doors and leave the ignition key in place, as well as leave all of my CD's alone, they were Country and classic Rock, so no surprise for the area. Thieves steal **** because they can, not because they need to.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So you're saying that he shouldn't get an alarm?

While it might be true that most people wouldn't pay attention, it will still draw attention if there are people around and see something happening with the truck. If you have a paging alarm and are withing 1/4-1/2 mile you'll also be alerted. If you have an alarm with a proximity sensor it will also let you know that someone is too damn close to the truck. Should you get someone who decides to not only try and steal what they can grab and actually try and make off with the truck an alarm with a starter kill will at least slow them down, if not stop them. A good paging alarm system can be had for as little as $300. Well worth it to me. Hell look at all of the trucks being stolen as of late and ask how many of them had an alarm system installed, I bet they'll all say the same thing, they didn't.

Last edited by Fantom; 04-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

I'm saying he should't rely on an alarm to keep his stuff safe
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM

I don't, my windows are tinted dark to keep eyes out and I try to park out in the open away from cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.