2002 F350 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2002 F350 4x4

Okay fellas, I'm new to the diesel community (sort of), I work for John Deere as a mechanic. I know a little about diesel engines, but know nothing as far as tuning. I have an 02 F350 single cab single rear wheel 4x4. Obviously has the 7.3 engine, and has around 200k miles on it. It's mostly a toy hauler but I like to play too! I want to add a tuner primarily to increase fuel economy, but also power option is never a bad thing. I am also going to be putting some new injectors in it soon. So basically, what I'm getting to is I want this thing to sound and operate like a mean strokin machine. I wanna hear that turbo whistle and I want the horsepower to go along with it, but I'm not sure where to start as far as brands, what are the first things I should upgrade, and things I should look at for. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am ready to tackle this thing! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
From my '02 (and of course you don't have to do it all or in any particular order...)

Make it Breath -> 4" exhaust / Ford AIS filter (or the 6637 "universal filter")

Gauges to monitor the EGT's And Trans Temp (factory is useless here)

Tuning - 6pos chip by one of the "good" guys (PHP, TW, Beans, DP, etc)

End the "in balance" in the Fuel & HiPres Oil design (FRX & crossover to the heads)

Whistle - remove the foil from the IC tube and add a WickedWheel

Trans - valvebody (JW or BTS) and replace the cooler with a 6.0's cooler

Once you've done all that, you've got the Stock engine running right, and a Lot quicker. To go further, you gotta dig deep because it's gonna get expensive! Injectors - HPOP - Turbo - Trans, you looking at 10K and Frankly, IMHO, this isn't the engine to do it with. You want to go fast? The newer, lighter, engines make Much more power More easily. The 7.3 is a 500K mile workhorse of the "old design". Not saying it won't make plenty of power, just not as economically as the newer engines (which are NOT 500K workhorses )
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yep, I definitely get that! And I'm not necessarily looking for a ton more speed. Also I don't plan to put 10k into it either. Approximately what did it cost you to do all of that? What makes the factory gauges useless? PHP seems to be highly reccomended on this site, I've heard a lot of good about bullydog too. PHP seems to have a better rep tho? Thanks for your input!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall687 View Post
Approximately what did it cost you to do all of that?
I don't actually want to add it all up or anything....

But, for the most part, they're 1-3 hundred dollar mods (done over a few years) As for gauges, you really want to know what going on with EGT's when you add stuff, Boost is just fun, and the factory Trans Temp is complete bull$hit -> dieselmann's editorial

I actually went with PHP, just added Daily Driver and Towing tunes. In this truck, the "weak link" is the transmission, you want to be especially good to the trans where tuning/towing is concerned, and do what you can to help it (VB & Cooler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket, exhaust 7.3l, help wanted, turbo 7.3 powerstoke, turbo diesel help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.