looking at buying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking at buying

hello all im new here and im going to look at a 99 f250 4x4 ex cab 4x4 with 7.3 and 89 thousand miles any thing i should look for thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org!
It shouldnt have a K/N drop in filter. they are known for letting dirt into the turbo but we bought our truck with one before we knew anything about it and our turbo and intake look clean as can be. We did just order a new intake to be safe.
good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Another happy Powerstroker

I've had my 2000 F250 ext. cab. w/ 8 ' bed, 7.3 for about a year now. I love it. In spite of a new transmission, 2 new batteries and a used alternator. Luckily the trans was covered by a warranty. My only advise is the same advise i ignored prior to buying mine. Look in the valley for oil, I have since found the oil and may have HPOP problems. (High pressure oil pump) $1400 ish repair. Look under the truck for rust on the frame. Mine was rusted ( but covered with some year old paint). It looked good, but not real fresh. i thought it was a clean truck. After a year and alot of road salt ect.. the rust is coming through. Most likely not a problem, but before i bought the truck it was some one else's problem. Now i own it. But wouldn't trade it in for anything. except maybe a 2008.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
hello all im new here and im going to look at a 99 f250 4x4 ex cab 4x4 with 7.3 and 89 thousand miles any thing i should look for thanks in advance
Definitely look for oil in the valley. Check the ball joints, check for leaking up-pipes. Ask about the glow plugs and glow plug relay. If they have never been replaced, it's going to need them soon.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks everyone but it was already sold when i got there after work so the search continues
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm also in the market for one of the 99-02 7.3L's to pull our camping trailer with. I have a friend who works at a local Ford dealership that has offered to look over any truck I'm looking at purchasing, but I kind of like to dive head first and get my own hands dirty while I'm looking.

I don't really know anything about diesel engines or this year of trucks. I have an 07 F150 5.4L that I've come to know fairly well, but that's about it.

What kinds of things should I look out for?
Was any year that they made the 7.3's better than others?
Was the Powerstroke in all the Turbe Diesel Engines in those years or were there non Powerstroke versions of the 7.3 put out?
What about Transmissions? How long do they typically last?
What are some of the knowns for these trucks to commonly fail or go out?
How many miles is too many?

Sorry for the laundry list, just want to be prepared.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon View Post
I'm also in the market for one of the 99-02 7.3L's to pull our camping trailer with. I have a friend who works at a local Ford dealership that has offered to look over any truck I'm looking at purchasing, but I kind of like to dive head first and get my own hands dirty while I'm looking.

I don't really know anything about diesel engines or this year of trucks. I have an 07 F150 5.4L that I've come to know fairly well, but that's about it.

What kinds of things should I look out for?
Was any year that they made the 7.3's better than others?
Was the Powerstroke in all the Turbe Diesel Engines in those years or were there non Powerstroke versions of the 7.3 put out?
What about Transmissions? How long do they typically last?
What are some of the knowns for these trucks to commonly fail or go out?
How many miles is too many?

Sorry for the laundry list, just want to be prepared.

1) Have ford pull an oasis report for each vehical and review it
2) Look to see how clean the engine is, oil in the valley and so on
3) Rearend, make sure the seal is good and isn't leaking
4) Glow plugs and the relay for them
5) The OBS powerstrokes had 15* oil pumps while the 99.5+ powerstrokes had 17* oil pumps
6) Unless your looking for a 1994 and earlier truck they are all powerstrokes
7) Auto trans can usually last about 150 or so, depending on how well you build it up, and if you just put OEM parts back in it and start adding power to the engine it wont last near as long
8) We have about 8 powerstrokes at work and they all have between 500-145,000 miles(i work for govn't so we dont keep our trucks more then 12 years usually) But its not uncommon to see 7.3 powerstrokes roll over 600k. Several members here have some with well over 500k and another one has a powerstroke that just rolled over a million without a rebuild or anything

you can usually get an idea of how well the truck was taken care of by looking at it, if its a clean and well maintained you can most likely execpt a long life out of it
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

An early 99 (built in 98 or before 3/99 i think) has smaller injectors and smaller turbo. The smaller turbo has an advantage, it doesnt surge like the bigger ones do but its not really any problem. I might get in trouble for saying this but it seems that the auto trans does go out fairly often, but i dont have one. The 6speed manual trans is bullet proof from what i have heard and experienced. All of the trucks were powerstrokes ( if they were a diesel). They were known for killing Cam positionging sensors, they would all the sudden go out and leave you sitting there. Ford has since come out with a recall and a better sensor that is suppose to solve that problem. I would feel comfortable buying one as long is it had under 200k miles and seemed to have been takin care of.
good luck
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the great info guys. If you think of anything else, please add it here.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
Welcome to the .org!!! i think it sounds like a great truck! any pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.