How much should I charge to do 8 injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much should I charge to do 8 injectors

I have a guy wanting me to do 8 injectors for him but im not sure what to charge the guy. I ran into him at a gas station and hes very frustrated since 6 other shops refuse to do the work and he has to get it done since its his tow truck.

but how much should i charge where im not ripping him off like a shop would but at the same time im compensated well for the work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Figure out what the book calls for hours to replace them.

Call around and ask local diesel shops what they charge per hour.

Charge him no more than those guys - and also remember you don't have the same overhead expenses.

Profit!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

went on my international service site and they state it should take 5.5 hours
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM

I'd charge 400 for install of injectors. I can swap them in under 3 hours

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM

being that nobody wants to help him, its kind of an open market.

I think the $400 sounds fair. I would say it would take you 4 hrs or less. Also it depends on what you think you are worth. You could do $250 and still be good.

I would not get too greedy. If you give the guy a good fair price, he make come back to you for future work. Things to think about. Sometimes when you just make it worth your while but help a person out at the same time; brings you more in the future.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM

hell $250 is still a good junk of change to change them, especially if he will come back and you got nothing in the swap such as buying tools or such
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 PM

The way I always look at it if I am doing work for someone and I'm not a business is that I do the work for what I'm happy making on the deal. If I'm familiar with something and its "easy" for me I try to make the person pleased.

Maybe I also feel good karma can go a long ways... I feel that if I do something to help someone else out it will come back in a positive way for me later, somehow.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyrana View Post
I ran into him at a gas station and hes very frustrated since 6 other shops refuse to do the work and he has to get it done since its his tow truck.
This is a big red flag to me. Are these diesel shops or not? The only time I have heard of a professional turning down work is if they don't know how to do the job or the customer is a known dick and they are sick of dealing with him. You're putting yourself in in a very bad position financially if you are not a professional mechanic, especially if it is his work vehicle. Worst case is the engine being hydrolocked and being sued for a 2014 F450 and loss of income for his business.

BTW, this is not saying you are not capable of doing the job, it is just the story sounds fishy and the fact it is a work vehicle. From a liability standpoint I would walk away.

Last edited by Solid98; 04-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid98 View Post
This is a big red flag to me. Are these diesel shops or not? The only time I have heard of a professional turning down work is if they don't know how to do the job or the customer is a known dick and they are sick of dealing with him. You're putting yourself in in a very bad position financially if you are not a professional mechanic, especially if it is his work vehicle. Worst case is the engine being hydrolocked and being sued for a 2014 F450 and loss of income for his business.

BTW, this is not saying you are not capable of doing the job, it is just the story sounds fishy and the fact it is a work vehicle. From a liability standpoint I would walk away.

Very good points. It's not common for a shop to turn down a task as simple as an injector change. I mean, I haven't changed an injector yet, but there is a plethora of stories of guys doing so on the side of the freeway, so it can't be that complicated.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
If you've never done it, then i'd surely pass. I'm sure you can, but someone else's vehicle isn't exactly where i'd want to be doing on the job training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.