waste gate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
waste gate

I was woundering if i could just wire my waste gate closed. My 96 7.3 dosent have a waste gate and it works just fine. And the 6.0 dont have one so im not realy shur at all what the point of a wast gate is other then makeing anoying sounds. So if some one could let me no that would be get. cuz ive only had my 02 7.3 for about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 04:06 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
Powerstroke Mods and Maintenance
Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

you can just take the red line off of the actuator, and the turbo will spool faster and spool until the wastegate cannot hold it anymore because of the force on the spring. That will solve some of your probems, but I beleive you can turn the arm of the wastegate in and tighten it up all the way to keep it closed.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are not hearing your wastegate. Please explain the noise you are hearing? What mods have you done to your truck? The reason why your OBS did (or does not) not have a wastegate is the fact it had a 1.15 exhaust housing, the 6.0 does not because of the VGT turbo ajusts to limit and relieve overboost pressures thru the VGT part of it.

The 99-03 7.3's have a wastegate because they have a .84 exhaust housing. Great for low end power and spool, but too small for higher boost levels. So by adding the wastegate they could make it act like a bigger exhaust housing at higher RPM's...

But I will tell you this... You will NEVER hear the wastegate opening.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

waste gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
You are not hearing your wastegate. Please explain the noise you are hearing? What mods have you done to your truck? The reason why your OBS did (or does not) not have a wastegate is the fact it had a 1.15 exhaust housing, the 6.0 does not because of the VGT turbo ajusts to limit and relieve overboost pressures thru the VGT part of it.

The 99-03 7.3's have a wastegate because they have a .84 exhaust housing. Great for low end power and spool, but too small for higher boost levels. So by adding the wastegate they could make it act like a bigger exhaust housing at higher RPM's...

I dont understand what you meen buy the exhaust housing what is that. And the noise i hear is a hising sound. It hapens when i am at a light gruzing speed about 1500 rpm that is when i here it. and there is no mods done to my truck yet.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and that will not hurt my truck at all
Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM

is there foil on you drivers side ic tube sounds to me at that rpm your hearing slight turbo wistle like previous owner did a foil delete but there is to reason at all to wire your wastegate closed and to answer your last question yes you can hurt stuff that way since your not running gauges to keep an eye on things
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolenback View Post
and that will not hurt my truck at all

Few pic's might help...

Last edited by CSIPSD; 08-16-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Good answer CSIPSD

Quote:
OMG! Finally, someone else said it. I think I have said that same thing to over 20 people on the phone this week. It is true, you will never hear the wastegate opening.

Quote:
I dont understand what you meen buy the exhaust housing what is that.
The rusty cast iron section of your turbo. The wastegate (if equipped) bypasses excess turbine drive pessure around the turbine blades to prevent overspooling the turbo, and dumps it out the tailpipe. This is done on turbo applications where the exhaust housing is a bit small for the truck under hard throttle conditions. These "small" turbos are used sometimes as they tend to be better in low end (read: stop light to stop light) driving patterns- where people drive their trucks the majority of the time. The 97 had a fairly large turbine(exhaust) housing so drive pressures were not a concern. The 6.0 uses a VGT housing as Joe stated. This uses a varible (sliding) turbine vanes that expand as speed increases. This eliminates the need for a wastegate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolenback View Post
And the noise i hear is a hising sound. It hapens when i am at a light gruzing speed about 1500 rpm that is when i here it. and there is no mods done to my truck yet.
Could be a boost leak, could be turbo whistle if you have an open air intake, but could help more with a bit more information.

Do not wire your wastegate closed. If you want something better than a stock controller, try the https://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=457 TurboMaster. You get maximum response (as if the wastegate were wired shut), but control of boost and drive pressure on the top end.

Bob Riley
Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 AM

That TurboMaster is pretty cool (just read that entire page on your site).

Question, with the additional boost due to it not being "bled or wasted" off, does Gas Mileage suffer?

I supposed the correct answer is it does, to the extent you can't keep your foot out of it.

The only reason I ask is that I've driven my EX with a chip tune that caused the turbo to spool faster, and the gas mileage really took a hit. I removed the chip due to not wanting to pay for the added spool/power.

Will you comment on that for those of use interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.