DIY Intake Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY Intake Install

Did my DIY Intake today. I didn't notice a big change in acceleration but did notice that it opened up the breathing. Kind of like nose spray!

It seems to have helped the lugging problem I have with 3.73 gears and 35" tires. I'll know more after a week of driving.

I had to put mine in there at an angle to clear the thickened edge of the of the hood. I've seen other pics with it installed level. Not sure how. Didn't seem to work for me.

I fill my tank up the neck every time and keep good records. I will be able to post improvements (if any) in fuel mileage in a week or so.

Sounds cool when you let off of the accelerator....you can hear it sucking to make up for what the turbo just pushed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sweet man

Glad to know Im not the only one that keeps records of fuel consumption.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM

I just did mine today to and also noticed the "bark" when you let off, very easy took me maybe 5 minutes.

Luke
Old 02-03-2008, 05:04 PM

97 F-350 7.3 psd single cab dually. fpr, intake mod. I just finished mine today too. I used a 3" 45% angle pvc pipe. Sets tilted some but that gives it more air as more filter is exposed. Put small bungie across the back so it doesn`t move at all. Thing is I don`t hear the turbo at all but it is working because I can feel and hear the air being sucked into the filter. The rest is stock so do you guys think I won`t get turbo whistle until I do an exaust delete? Should I hear some turbo whistle like it is?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Uncork the exhaust and delete the foil from the driver's side intercooler tube and you will really notice the turbo noise!I just straight piped my factory exhaust and man what a difference!My truck sounds like a low flying UFO.LOL!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns954 View Post
Uncork the exhaust and delete the foil from the driver's side intercooler tube and you will really notice the turbo noise!I just straight piped my factory exhaust and man what a difference!My truck sounds like a low flying UFO.LOL!
Did you do the downpipe also? Did you notice any difference just by doing the foil delete before straight piping or did you do it all at one time? Thanks. P.S. So far in my Haynes and Chilton repair manuals I can`t seem to find intercooler listed. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My exhaust is factory 3.5inch from the turbo back.I straightpiped it first.The foil delete does increase turbo noise inside the cab.Your intercooler tube runs from just in front of the turbo,over the valve cover,down beside the power steering pump.You want to remove the foil insulation from the tube.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quick follow-up

After 50-60 miles of driving today I can definitely tell a difference. The overhead liar indicates a 1.5 mpg improvement. I'll know more after next fill-up.
My truck lugs real bad because of the oversized 35" tires on very heavy 18" wheels. It's so bad it doesn't even want to stay in overdrive. The DIY Intake has improved this dramatically. Wasn't something I expected. Throttle response is noticeably improved.
I don't have more turbo whine but it does make a sucking sound when you get out of the throttle that can be heard over the sound of the mudders going down the road. Cool
I think I'm going to like this. Try it!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Triflex...get rid of the factory downpipe. Buy a 3" downpipe, and open up the exhaust. Then you will be able to hear the turbo whistle. I have a 3"dp, to 4" exhaust. I cut the muffler off a couple months ago. The 4" pipe stops right under the bed. The only thing I need now, is a curved tip to direct the flow of the exhaust. Right now, I have black soot on the right rear of the bed, at the fuel doors. Its a noticable increase in how loud the exhaust is. With the exhaust or any othe rmods.... gauges are needed.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK View Post
Triflex...get rid of the factory downpipe. Buy a 3" downpipe, and open up the exhaust. Then you will be able to hear the turbo whistle. I have a 3"dp, to 4" exhaust. I cut the muffler off a couple months ago. The 4" pipe stops right under the bed. The only thing I need now, is a curved tip to direct the flow of the exhaust. Right now, I have black soot on the right rear of the bed, at the fuel doors. Its a noticable increase in how loud the exhaust is. With the exhaust or any othe rmods.... gauges are needed.
I'm still somewhat of a newbie, but I can tell you that I have a 4" Banks exhaust with a Monster Muffler. The downpipe appears to be 4" also. Is this possible? It has "Banks" on it also.
As far as guages, I am leaning towards an Evo 2. I don't plan to drag race, pull sleds or heavy loads very often. (Tractor or skidsteer occasionaly) Think that will be OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.