Hello all - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello all

New to the site and thought i would say hi. I just purchased my work truck a 2002 F-250 SD 2wd super cab w/ 7.3 and 118,000 miles. Ive driven it as a company vehicle for a few years so I know its history and its been well taken car of. I tow a toy hauler that weighs around 7000lbs loaded and it gets 10mpg while towing. I use to get 20 mpg (not towing) on the freeway but I think that has slipped a bit. My latest in town mileage was 14mpg. Its stock with a K & N air filter. Do these numbers sound normal? Im experienced in mechanics but have limited diesel knowledge. Wanted to keep it stock but if its like anything else ive owned that probably wont last long. Looking forward to learning about it on this cool site.

thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM
MARSOC > Seals

yeah the numbers sound about right... what kind of mods are you thinking about doing for your truck?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:55 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
those sound about right to be honest i noticed a huge decrease in mpg and hp when they switched the diesel over to ultra low sulfar! i used to get 18 then it droped to about 14 so it suxs but blaim the government! i have the k&n cold air intake system which is fine and good but the drop in filter is junk and wont seal around the stock air box so i would put a motorcraft filter back in it or get a air intake system k&n, air raid, afe, etc....
Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

WELCOME TO THE ORG, MIKE!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Congrats. on your purchase &
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys Mod's?? Not quite sure yet. Its got plenty of power but wouldnt mind doing what I can to increase mileage. I havent done any freeway miles lately so dont know the mpg's but remember checking it once and getting 20 mpg (freeway) and was happy with that. Like I said the last check I did was in town driving at 14 mpg. Towing my trailer it ALWAYS gets 10mpg, granny driving or in the fast lane its still 10mpg. One interesting thing though my buddy has an 02 duramax with an exhaust, cold air filter and a chip and going over pacheco pass with our trailers (which are the same) we stay pretty close and I actually pull him at the steepest point so I guess its not running too bad?

I guess Ive got the kn drop in filter as it fits in the stock airbox but seems to seal well as the box is clean on top.

I wouldnt mind upping the exhaust but not really into the louder turbo jet sounds I hear guys running around here, suggestions?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM
back to business

Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

welcome to the family
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
welcome to the org bud.... those k&N drop ins are notorious for letting in dust into the turbo... i would take that out and do a DIY tymar intake... for exhaust i would just straight pipe it.... as far as mods if you dont want to do anything like a chip or programmer i would suggest gauges... the stock trans gauge is very innacurate and by the time it goes to red you have already broken something.... my stocker will stay at normal all the time where my autometer can be anywhere from 150-210 (210 being HOT) with the stocker never moving..... if your doing any kind of towing even in stock form get yourself a trans gauge and a secondary trans cooler to keep temps down

-Raul
Old 02-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Interesting about the trans temp. The stock gauge stays just below center all the time (when warmed up) and stays there even when towing. I thought the system was working well but maybe its not reading correctly?

One problem it has is a growling noise when going down the road. It sound like a front wheel bearing but they check fine. Its gotten a little louder over time and decreases when I let off the throttle then you can hear it while rolling to a stop. My guess is to check the U-joints next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.