Better milage wanted - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better milage wanted

I have a 99 f-350 crew cab duallie 7.3.I am currently getting 13 mpg. Truck is stock and seems kind of laggy and under powered compared to my past truck which was the same truck but a 95.I am looking for suggestions for up grades to improve the above issues and i dont really want to experiment .One parts dealer suggested starting with an AIS intake system and an exhaust system before i consider any kind of a tuner. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 AM

That is a very good place to start. You really should have all of that done before you run a tuner anyway.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Definatly start with the air intake and exhaust first. Have you consisered inflating your tires with nitrogen? Nitrogen is more stable than regular air, and wont exband at high temps. from driving. I havent done it myself, but have several friends that have. They claim to have picked up a couple miles to the gallon. Theres a local tire shop here, that will deflate, and inflate with nitrogen for $20.00. They say gain of 2-3% can be seen. It aint much, but the way diesel prices are... every little bit helps.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nitrogen is nice to have over a period of time since air fluctuates with heat and cold in the atmosphere. Also too, I invested in a tonneau cover for mine and that jumped my gas mileage immensely! So take that into consideration as you will definitely see an increase
Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I got my 97 OBS I would get about 14MPG. After a chip I only got 15 MPG. With the exhaust up grade it jumped to 17MPG.

So the exhaust is the best way to go, followed by an intake, then chip(with gauges of course).

Personally, I don't buy the Nitrogen. Unless you want to be lazy and not check your tire pressure.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
i moded my truck for better mpg and i didnt improve mileage but power!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cleaning the Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) Sensor and Tube helped my truck a lot in the power department and most likely mileage also (haven't checked yet). It's not difficult at all.

Guzzle's page shows how: Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Maintenance Web Page

I don't know much about these intakes, but I ordered a Donaldson Intake Kit because you increase filtering efficiency but still increase airflow whereas I think a lot of these kits don't filter as well. When I put it on, I am going to do the Zoodad mod as well where you cut a hole in the radiator support to get fresh air from outside of the engine compartment and with less restriction.

Seems like, on the '99's, you need a little different kit or a special piece for the Donaldson filter kit and they do state on the flyer that it is for '99's built after 1-99.

Last edited by bob00stroke; 02-01-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info ,much appreciated Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.