4wd conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4wd conversion

So i was thinking about converting my truck to 4wd now if i had the leaf spring/dead axle front suspension it would be a no brainer i would do it for sure, it would be a simple conversion.
But, i have the twin i-beam **** so the question is would it be a bolt up swap if i switched over to leafs/ solid axle?
Im thinking just find a donor truck and swap out the front suspension/axle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM

Most people will tell you it would be easier to just buy a new truck. BUT I would say to go ahead. I would be willing to bet the holes that you need are already in the frame. All you would need is the whole front axle srings and a transfer case and driveshafts. I know the driveshaft in the front is the same wheather manual or auto. And a crossmember. Take plenty of pics to show the naysayers here how easy it was.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 PM

yea like i said if it was the leaf suspension already i would do it in a second just swap the axle and trans/transfercase.

i wanted a CC 4x4 but this truck was too good a deal so i settled for 2wd and i hate it.

when i was looking for a truck i actually considered buying a gasser and doing a cummins swap, but i figured it would cost about the same as buying a 4x4 PSD
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM

Im not as farmiliar with the superdutys as I am the ol' chevys, but if you have the donar truck to pull all the parts from, it's much easier. Buddy of mine did a '89 suburban conversion, the front ends of the frame are a lil diffrent on that, but it worked... If I was gonna tackle this project, I'd compair the 2wd with a 4wd side by side some time, with a tape measure in hand... check everything, make sure the shape/rise/fall of the frame where it goes up and over the front end is the same, or workable. Most likely, the rear will also need some work, the rear spring to frame hangers might be diffrent hights, and/or have blocks between the rear axle housing and the leaf springs... I'm all for a good project, I have about a dozen partial great ideas like this half way finished... it's the only downfall to haveing a huge garage, it gets full of things like this...

Buy the way, nice blazer ya got there... like the pic's in your sig... best looking grill/headlights they ever had... mine ain't so nice, but it's a tank!

Good luck with your project... the ticket is finding a cheap donar truck, that makes a big diffrence in the feasablity of the idea...
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
dont forget the electronics if your gonna do the lil turn knob on the dash can it be done? yes my suggestion is hit the junk yards and find one that got rear ended and take the whole front end....
Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 AM

If you are getting, or already have a donor 4x4. Here's an idea, just trade the cab, and front clip.
no more twin I beam, (Trade frames) You still keep your VIN #
Most of the wiring is their. All of benefits of a newer 4x4. Cutting torch and welder and get after if.
Sounds like a great project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.