New to the Forum...had a few questions...any help appericated - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the Forum...had a few questions...any help appericated

First off, let me explain that i am 19 years old and really mechanically inclined, so you can use the proper terms for parts and dont need to dumb it down any. I am pretty good with gasoline powered fourms...I had a 92 mustang 5.0 that ran a 13.75 and was pretty well stock. (I was proud of her). And i am in the process of building a 351w for my next project.
Only problem is...i dont know that much about diesels besides the basic theory of operation and that they make gobbs of torque, perfect for pullin trailers (somthing i tend to do alot, especially hauling iron).

I would like to know what the differneces are between the 7.3's along the years. I know that they started off N/A and then were turbo'd then direct injected, then intercooled and evolved over the years. that i understand, but at what years did they do each step.

Next, what is the difference between the 7.3's over the years besides the add ons? did the block and rotating assembly reamin the same? is anything internal forged? what are the common weak/strong points?

Also, what are the best boltons to add power? besides exhaust and intake, what will boost power and torque and fuel econemy the most for the time and money involved in installing it.

I guess the real question here all boils down to this....I am planning on buying a 1993 f250 and i want to know what i have and what to expect. like i say, i want to pull trailers with ease. can i just slap a 7.3 turbo on a n/a block and be all set (its more work than that i know) or do i have to mess with the fuel system. i guess that is the part i understand the least...the fuel system.

just wondering what you guys thought...i know that it is long, but i do appericate the advice in advance.

thanks
~darren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh yeah...does any one know what turbo these things ran (brand, sizes, water-oil cooled, etc.)? or does anyone have a compressor map for them?

thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To tell you the truth I have no idea. I just want to welcome you to the org.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermoon View Post
To tell you the truth I have no idea. I just want to welcome you to the org.
well thank you, i do appericate it
Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM

dont ask me welcome to the ford-home of PSD and then there was me
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETERDID View Post
dont ask me welcome to the ford-home of PSD and then there was me
thanks for the welcome
Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
First off, let me explain that i am 19 years old and really mechanically inclined, so you can use the proper terms for parts and dont need to dumb it down any. I am pretty good with gasoline powered fourms...I had a 92 mustang 5.0 that ran a 13.75 and was pretty well stock. (I was proud of her). And i am in the process of building a 351w for my next project.
Only problem is...i dont know that much about diesels besides the basic theory of operation and that they make gobbs of torque, perfect for pullin trailers (somthing i tend to do alot, especially hauling iron).

I would like to know what the differneces are between the 7.3's along the years. I know that they started off N/A and then were turbo'd then direct injected, then intercooled and evolved over the years. that i understand, but at what years did they do each step.

Next, what is the difference between the 7.3's over the years besides the add ons? did the block and rotating assembly reamin the same? is anything internal forged? what are the common weak/strong points?

Also, what are the best boltons to add power? besides exhaust and intake, what will boost power and torque and fuel econemy the most for the time and money involved in installing it.

I guess the real question here all boils down to this....I am planning on buying a 1993 f250 and i want to know what i have and what to expect. like i say, i want to pull trailers with ease. can i just slap a 7.3 turbo on a n/a block and be all set (its more work than that i know) or do i have to mess with the fuel system. i guess that is the part i understand the least...the fuel system.

just wondering what you guys thought...i know that it is long, but i do appericate the advice in advance.

thanks
~darren
i dont no much about the obs but im pretty sure the 93's have turbo's in them. and my 7.3 came with a garret turbo i beleive it is oil cooled but dont quote me. the fuel system is pretty complicated i know very little about how it works. uhh week point i would say is deffinatly the tranny other then that the motor is pretty stout. i dont beleive they changed any internal parts maybe some small changes here and there but nothing major. the 7.3 used forged rods before build date sept of 2000 i pretty sure thats correct. as far as more power. the usual intake exhaust im not sure but they might have some kind of flip chip for that year.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by red73psd View Post
i dont no much about the obs but im pretty sure the 93's have turbo's in them. and my 7.3 came with a garret turbo i beleive it is oil cooled but dont quote me. the fuel system is pretty complicated i know very little about how it works. uhh week point i would say is deffinatly the tranny other then that the motor is pretty stout. i dont beleive they changed any internal parts maybe some small changes here and there but nothing major. the 7.3 used forged rods before build date sept of 2000 i pretty sure thats correct. as far as more power. the usual intake exhaust im not sure but they might have some kind of flip chip for that year.
well thanks for the input..do you happen to know what they went to in 2000 if the rods WERE forged up untill then? i think that the turbo on 1993 was an option... i actuially havent seen this truck yet put i can trade one of my gas guzzling trucks for it, so i might as well do it...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

another thing....i know that on gas engines, its proven that if you go huge exhaust, you lose torque due to a loss of backpressure...is this true for the diesels? i know that its common to run 4-5" exhaust, but can you go too big? just wondering if too big exhaust had the same effect on diesels as it does on gas motors.

thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

another thing (yeah i have a ton of questions) how much boost can you run on a non turbo or 1st gen turbo block? my buddy has a 99 f250 with the 7.3 and he pushs 22lbs of boost? is this unreasonable of a non tubo block?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.