2002 F350 7.3L fuel millage. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F350 7.3L fuel millage.

Hey, Does anyone out there have any Ideas on how to get better fuel millage out of my 7.3L powerstroke? I have cleanned the exhaust back pressure tube but didn't change the sensor? how do I know if sensor is bad? not getting any codes relatted to exhaust back pressure sensor so I didn't expect it to be bad. I do have it jacked up on 37inch tires, but I have installed a bully dog programer, K&N cold air in take, 4inch down pipe from turbo that goes into 5inch stacks with no muffler or convertor. I tried turnning programer up to tow, performance, and extreme but just made it harder on fuel. I also changed the diffs to to 4.30 instead of the stock 3.73 to try and get gear ratio back to stock. Should I start checking injectors and if so hows the easyest way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are u getting? I get 12.5
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Put the truck back to stock height and gearing. Aerodynamics suck on lifted trucks. If you have mud tires go back to a highway tire or at the most an all terrain. I know it doesn't look as cool, but a big lift, big tires, and aggressive tread doesn't perform as well on the highway. And maybe a better custom chip with an economy tune. And before doing anything I would make sure the truck is operating as it should......no boost leaks, injectors operating as they should, brakes not hanging up, etc.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
What are u getting? I get 12.5
Im getting 400km to 90L of fuel. I tried figureing out the mpg and I got 2.5. That seems pretty bad.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM

I'm not sure how you did your calculations, but here is what I've got for you:

400km = 248.55mi
90L = 23.78gal

248.55mi/23.78gal = 10.45 mpg

I would start simple and ditch the K&N filter for a Tymar 6637 and get rid of the Bullydog and go with either a TS chip with tunes from a reputable tuner (Beans, Tony Wildman, PHP, etc...) or a chip and tunes from DP Tuner. That should start you in the right direction.

Whatever you do, remember, you are driving a very large and heavy truck with 37" tires. You aren't going to get great numbers like 25mpg. I get about 13-16mpg around town and about 18-20 mpg on the highway with the truck in my signature. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.