First Time Diesel Owner. Advice? Thanks! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Time Diesel Owner. Advice? Thanks!

Hello there guys (and gals.) I have recently become interested in purchasing a diesel vehicle. From what I have looked at a 90's model 7.3L seems like a nice place to start. Im just looking for the hypothetical "push" I need to get a Powerstroke. The things I'm looking for in a truck would obviously be a combo of power and fuel economy. The amount im looking to spend is around $3,500. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Powerstroke? And I know this is a Ford forum, but what are advantages and disadvantages of Duramax and Cummins engines? My cousin (same age as myself so we hang out alot) owns a 99 24v Cummins. If I'm gonna get a diesel truck it'll most likely come up that we should do a pull competition. Would my 90s 7.3L have any chance on his?

Note: I'm 16, this will be my first vehicle. I live in BFE Ohio on a farm so my truck will be put to good use out here.

Thanks everyone! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
Hello there guys (and gals.) I have recently become interested in purchasing a diesel vehicle. From what I have looked at a 90's model 7.3L seems like a nice place to start. Im just looking for the hypothetical "push" I need to get a Powerstroke. The things I'm looking for in a truck would obviously be a combo of power and fuel economy. The amount im looking to spend is around $3,500. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Powerstroke? And I know this is a Ford forum, but what are advantages and disadvantages of Duramax and Cummins engines? My cousin (same age as myself so we hang out alot) owns a 99 24v Cummins. If I'm gonna get a diesel truck it'll most likely come up that we should do a pull competition. Would my 90s 7.3L have any chance on his?

Note: I'm 16, this will be my first vehicle. I live in BFE Ohio on a farm so my truck will be put to good use out here.

Thanks everyone! !
Welcome! So your looking for an OBS 7.3? If you are looking for a regular cab, your budget is possible.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Welcome! So your looking for an OBS 7.3? If you are looking for a regular cab, your budget is possible.
I would prefer an extendes cab model.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I would prefer an extendes cab model.
You might be able to find an extended cab, good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

To find a solid, clean title OBS turbo powerstroke you're looking around $5000 minimum for single cab with 150,000 miles. Drop your standards a little on the condition and mileage, take your time looking, you may just find that sweet deal within your budget. Look for one that is owned by an older person, perhaps that was used for farm work or something. Stay away from dealerships if your looking for a good deal on one.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 AM

If you want a 7.3L truck in half-decent condition, you are going to pay big bucks (comparatively) for it. A 2003 7.3L will fetch a lot more $$$ than a similar-vintage 6.0L.

The Duramax by Chevy/GMC is a good power plant as well, but the rest of the truck is not as nice as the Ford. The Duramax is a lot less noisy than the Powerstroke, though. The Cummins used in the Dodge is a beast - and is an inline six design rather than a V8.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:

Thanks everyone! !
I don't know how the diesel truck market is in Ohio but for $3500 you could get a 7.3, maybe even a super duty, in New England. BUT it will have some substantial rust on it and will probably be beat up. But if your willing to put the work into it most are salvageable.

The biggest perk of the 7.3 is its reputation for reliability but you will be looking at a truck that is at least 10 years old at this point so stuff like u-joints, wheel bearings, ball joints, transmission have been replaced or be in need of replacement. Also given the age, mileage and condition of vehicles in your price point, stuff like injectors, glow plugs, HPOP (high pressure oil pumps - search HEUI injection system) might need attention or replacement.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a Duramax in the $3500 range, if you did it could be more trouble than it would be worth. The Duramax (and the 03+ Cummins, 6.4 PSD and current 6.7 PSD) all use Common Rail Injection. So they can make big power very easily. Not uncommon for a EFI tuned d-max to make 450-500rwhp with an intake, exhauset, tunes and a lift pump (in a most dmaxs the CP3 injection pump draws right from the tank). Great engines but expensive and sensitive (especially in the case of the 01-04 LB7) injectors. I have never owed a chevy in my life so I can't comment about how the trucks are, I know the biggest complaints surround their use of IFS.

For dodges in your price range you are looking at 12V's (VE and P pumps), 24V's (VP44 pump trucks) and maybe a high mileage Common Rail (03+).The 12V's come with one of two injection pumps (VE rotary pump 89-93) or a P7100 injection pump (94-early 98). VE trucks are simple reliable but at this point some are old enough to drink, so age and wear will be an issue. They can make descent power but they are not the powerhouse the later 12V's can be. The p-pump'd dodges are something like the small block chey's of the diesel world. Lots of aftermarket support and can make HUGE power when built up. However the trucks are getting up there in age and wear again can be an issue. People also tend to complain about build quality with these trucks but I have never owned one.

In late 98 Cummins went from the P7100 injection pump to the electronically controlled VP44 injection pump. Not a bad set up by any means but doesn't have the powerhouse potential of the P7100 trucks, basically the same truck with a different injection systems used on their engines. The biggest issues most people have with these trucks is the 53 block.

53 block info:
Cummins #53 Block Info

And the VP44 injection pump itself. The VP44 pump is a self-lubing pump, mean it uses the diesel fuel it pumps as lubricant and coolant. Well in late 2006, the US moved from low sulfur diesel(500 ppm) to ultra low sulfur diesel (15 ppm) and the drop in sulfur, and more importantly its lubricating co-solvents, cause the lubricating properties of diesel fuel to decline. Therefore the number of VP44 failures has increased. To combat this many VP44 drivers run marine grade two cycle oil or other commercial fuel additive to supplement the lubricating properties of the fuel. The other issue of the VP44 is since fuel quantity and proper pressure (no less than 5 psi but no more than 20 psi) are so critical to its operation, the poor factory lift pumps used on these trucks are notorious for failure and when the $150 lift pump fails and it is not replaced... it is only a matter of time before the $800-1250 VP44 pump fails. At this point most VP44 trucks have had their lift pumps replaced, if they went to a dodge dealership they moved the pump to a more reliable in tank lift pump (that they used on the 2005+ CR trucks) or went with one of the many aftermarket lift pump options. An "idiot" 5 psi warning light or fuel pressure gauge are always a good idea on a VP44 truck.

Starting in 2003, Cummins brought its Common Rail engines to north america. It uses the same bosch common rail system as the Dmax's. These engines make lots of power, especially the 04.5-07 5.9's, and can be reasonably fuel efficient depending on tuning. The biggest down side to an 03-07 (especially the 04.5-07) 5.9s are the injectors. Common Rails make crazy injection pressures, 26-30k psi, and aftermarket tuning can jack those pressures up even more. Not uncommon for these $300-500 a pop injectors to not even make it 50-60k and depending on how they go in other cases they can take an engine out with them. Solution to this problem, get a rail pressure gauge and monitor it... and be careful with your tuning... keep your injection pressures to within factory spec and you will be fine. The other issue is the factory fuel filtration is complete inadequate IMHO, luckily it is VERY easy to add addition filtration to these trucks and that goes a long way to keeping the factory injectors happy. When I sold my dodge the factory injectors had 205k on them and when I had them bench tested by Bosch they were still within factory specs.

I actually owned a 04.5 CR powered 3/4 ton dodge before I got the truck I currently have. IMHO each one has its pluses and minuses. The extra room I have in my super cab is handy and the heavier ford seems much less influenced by my plow and fifth wheel. However stock for stock, the lighter more powerful dodge would burn my ford and with a smarty turned common rail would embarrass my current truck but at this point I am not really concerned with "performance" so it isn't a deal breaker. I find the leather seats in my current truck MUCH more comfortable then the cloth seats my dodge had but I would turn my 7.3 into a boat anchor if I could get a CR between the fenders of my current truck but that is not in the budget. I know others are not so found of the CRs as I am.

Ok I think I have ranted enough...good luck with your search.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 AM

the power stroke is the most affordable diesel to get into, basically the reason i ended up with one.

the Duramax, though early models had injector issues, is a great power plant and IMO in a better overall truck, but even high milage early models sell for double your budget.

a cummins is a great engine, and was my first choice when looking for a Diesel, but i am not a big fan of the truck that it comes in. and cummins are pricey. a decent 99 24v will fetch $8k even in poor condition. an older 12v aren't much cheaper due to their reliability, they run forever.

a powerstroke is a good place to start, and can be had cheaper than the other comparable diesels. I know when i was looking i found multiple 95-96 7.3's right around $4k, so you are in the ball park price wise.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just be aware that you can quite easily spend $3500 in repairs. I know that isn't really fun to think about, but if you just spent all your savings on a truck and then something breaks and you can't fix it, that's even worse.

If you've never had a diesel, it would be well worth paying someone to look over a truck for you. I still do it just for the peace of mind. Also, are you ready for the maintnece costs associated with a diesel? $90 oil changes, fuel filters, etc add up quickly.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

unfortunately diesels these days are pretty pricy for a good one that's in shape.
I had a 99 24 valve cummins that had alot of low end power but I had the 53 block and other problems plaguing me. Thats why i traded it with a guy on Craigslist for his powerstroke that I have now and im am very satisfied with what i have. Im 19 and have a beautiful truck and i think if you look long and hard enough you can find yourself a gem, just dont have your standards too high and dont buy a truck on an impulse, I made that mistake on my cummins and it ended up costing me alot of money and time out of my day to fix

Last edited by mcyrana; 03-31-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Because the little voices said to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.