Washington State and Cat's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Washington State and Cat's

I just did the Walker Big Truck Muffler (NAPA 21470) over the weekend. Since I couldn't weld the hangers back up where they needed to be, I took the truck in to a shop to have the muffler replaced. I have an '01 cc long box with a manual. The owner of the shop has the same exact truck with an automatic. His does not have a cat, and mine does. At first he refused to believe me that my truck had a cat until he looked at it. He said they weren't required on '01's. He would not remove it for me nor would he make me an extension to do it myself because even though they aren't "required" for '01's since mine has one on it, he says it's illegal to remove it, but if I replace the entire exhaust, it's okay?

My question is: If I remove the cat myself and go through emissions, will I pass? If it fails, will I get busted for having an extension on there?

Also, can can a performance chip be programmed with an "emissions" setting that will lean it out just for taking the test with no cat?

Thanks. Oh, and it sounds great, almost as quiet as stock in the cab. Sounds like a jet if you're watching it drive by. Should be a little better once the cat's gone. No info on egt's since I don't have gauges or a chip yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Does Pierce County do emissions testing? If the don't take it off. I live in Kitsap county and we dont do emissions testing and the only time my cat goes on is for the dealer.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
I'd say if there are no diesel emission tests in your area, I would be encouraged to take it off.

If it's illegal to remove it, how would one know if it's even doing the job when its on there as there are no emission testing?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Not to but what kind of boat is that in your avatar and where was the pic taken?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 AM

There is emissions testing here where I live, I can put the cat on and off for testing every two years but I just wondered the legality of it so I can be prepared before I get nailed. Plus, the way cops are cracking down on tuned up diesels, I'd hate to get pulled over and inspected for a cat.

Westcoaststrokin', here is my boat, it's a 20 foot Wooldridge Xtra Plus with a 200/140 Merc factory two stroke jet, in fact, the pictures shown here in the Wooldridge brochure are pictures (http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/broch...rochureWeb.pdf) I sent them from a duck hunt/fishing trip from a few years ago. The pic was taken in Northeast Washington.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 PM

WA emissions

A few years back while at the local muffler shop I asked them to remove the muffler and the tech asked if I wanted the CAT removed. I asked is this legal, he said for my year 1999 CATs were not required. So the CAT is off and in storage. I just had the install a 4" turbo muffler.
Living here in Snohomish we have to have emissions test every two years and have pass every year. With my Edge w/Attitude programmer I just set it to zero which is stock controls.
The emission personnel have never looked under or around my truck when their for testing. They just want their fee, test your tank cap and snap test the exhaust.

MY son's '01 auto PSD is running a 4" straight and has not had a problem too.

I saw the "Washington State and Cats" and thought you meant the #6 WSU Cougars B-ball team.

Oh well GO COUGARS
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Northwest Stroker

I'm not sure if this helps at all:
Motor vehicle emission inspections — Fees — Certificate of compliance — State and local agency vehicles. (Expires January 1, 2020.)
(a) Adopt procedures for conducting emission inspections of motor vehicles. The inspections may include idle and high revolution per minute emission tests. The emission test for diesel vehicles shall consist solely of a smoke opacity test.

Diesel Opacity Test and “k” value
The Diesel Opacity Test is an excellent tool to ensure a diesel engine is properly maintained. This test is used to improve fuel economy, reduce air pollution and protect our health.
The Diesel Opacity Test indicates how much pollution is coming from the engine and whether the engine is running efficiently, by measuring the emission of black smoke coming from the vehicle’s exhaust. This smoke is partially burned fuel which has not been converted into energy.
An opacity meter is used to measure the amount of light blocked in smoke emitted by diesel engines. The opacity of smoke is indicated in units called the k value.
Passing the Diesel Opacity test will assure the vehicle owner that their diesel engined vehicle is not wasting fuel and not emitting particulate matter that pollutes our air and threatens ourt health.
There is a lot of stuff to read my head started to hurt, couldn't find anything about alterations involving removing of cat though. Here's the site.
Chapter 70.120A RCW: Motor vehicle emission standards
No cat for me, no prob's either.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:40 AM

Okay, thanks guys I really appreciate it. Sounds like I'll be legal to remove the cat.

THANKS ORG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.