Horrible Cold Start!!! Please Help!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Horrible Cold Start!!! Please Help!!!!

Just did glow plugs and glow plug relay running rotella 15w/40 thinking injectors? Getting ready to do 80hp injectors anyways may this help? Is there something im missing????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Same boat here, I'm getting ready to do injectors next because so far I've done:
Glow plugs
Gpr
Both batteries
Alternator
Starter
Fuel filter
... I'd say its CPS, IPR, or injectors on your e d
Most likely injectors
This weekend I'm changing the CPS and IPR
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM

how cold is it when you try to start the truck?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i have some bad cold start issues too and i'm discovering that the problem is with thick oil in the injectors causing stiction when cold. i'm running 15w40 rotella and it's looking like that oil is too thick. a lighter viscosity will allow the injectors to work better when the oil is cold.

i just picked up a bucket of 15w40 that i think i am going to return now and try to find some 5w40.

just my thoughts. my glow plugs all test good, i have a white rodgers relay in the truck, i replaced the o-rings recently and the truck runs perfectly when warm. my next step will be a different oil.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM

im thinking 10w40 next oil change and not really cold but if i have it pluged in it seems fine. maybe just below 0 degrees but thats not to bad. im gonna take a look at my icp and maybe replace that
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

This should be in the motor section under powertrain. Just saying..

Id do a compression check btw
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i've done lots of searching in google in the past few days relating to powerstrokes and rotella 15/40 compared to t6 and i'm sold on the t6. everyone that has actually tried it has never looked back and is flabergasted with the results.

there are a lot of rotella 15w40 users that are too diehard to acknowledge the claims of easy starts, better running all around and longer oil change intervals so they end up beating the other guys down for "buying into the synthetic hype"

i picked up 15 litres of t6 today that is going into my truck this weekend. hella expensive but i am expecting good things.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 PM

synthetic oil makes these trucks start so much easier!
ive been running 5w-40 synthetic and its much better in the cold, plus im gonna go longer between oil change intervals.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i changed my oil today and put in rotella t6. i'm hoping for good things to happen. i'm leaving the block heater unplugged for a while to see what happens.

it does seem like the engine is running quieter, there used to be a loud tick like an exhaust manifold leaking that i could clearly hear through the firewall while driving. it seems like it has faded away. standing outside of the truck while it's idleing seems to be a little quieter too.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i let the truck sit for 24 hours and then started it up. this would usually mean a rough cold idle. i cranked it over without waiting for the glow plugs and it started up smoothly and went straight into high idle mode.

the truck has never done this in the two years i've owned it. it would always take a few seconds to start and then would chug at low idle for about 30 seconds before kicking into high idle.... sometimes. then it would have a definite miss for a few minutes of driving.

i now believe that rotella t is too hard on the injectors. rotella t6 or probably any synthetic 5w40 is the perfect oil.

it is hard to spend $140 on an oil change though but it seems to be well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.