Keep or Delete EBPV? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep or Delete EBPV?

I know this is everywhere on the forums, but i cannot find exactly the answers i am looking for. My turbo pedestal is leaking so I am about to pull it and do bellowed up pipes and ww2 as well. I am pretty sure the EBPV ram or actuator is leaking oil too. I can delete or rebuild it. I do like how fast the engine builds heat here in our chilly Colorado winters. Do you guys think it will hurt warm up time at all in cold weather like Colorado's?
I know the EBP sensor can effect mileage too, I just cleaned the tube and sensor recently. Will removing the EBPV and doing a Non-EBPV pedestal have any effect on mileage through the sensor or will the sensor work with the pcm regardless of whether there is or isn't a EBPV anymore? I cant afford to lose ANY mileage. Thanks for your input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

I'm up north of the border. My EBPV has been disconnected all winter and no problem down to -30C. Mileage difference was unnoticeable, truck warms up just fine when you let it kick into high idle and sit there a while. 5 minutes or so and my temp gauge starts to move.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You can delete or rebuild it. It does help a little for warm-up, but not significantly. You will not see a change in mileage at all.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Id opt to keep it. Personally, I like that I wired mine to a switch to engage it whenever I want. I use it most days to warm the engine faster than without. The sensor engages it (even on the colder days) at only about 90% by itself and then is quick to lower it to about 50% while cycling on/off. With a switch, it is engaged at 100% and with the high idle, warms the engine in no time at all.

+1 to keep it but to each their own.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 AM

Yeah, I guess my confusion was really whether or not removing it would cause the sensor to malfunction with the pcm and cause reduced mileage just like it does when it or the tube gets plugged. After some more research I realized that it should continue to do its job with the pcm regardless of whether the valve is in place or not.
So I assume the factory AIC will still idle up fine after deleting the EBPV?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 AM

Agtires.. What does it take to wire it up on a switch?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My pedestal was leaking bad and I opted to rebuild it and keep the ebpv. I also made a custom adaptor for my Van turbo just so i could keep it.
I like using it as an exhaust brake and I like the crazy howling it does on cold days.
Thats just me though
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokenred97 View Post
Agtires.. What does it take to wire it up on a switch?
There are a couple of threads on here about applying a switch to turn your EBPV on/off. It wont override the sensor on a cold start (as it will still engage, like it would without any modification) but will be an on the fly application for 100% activation of the butterfly valve (as stated above, it usually only uses about 90% of itself without the mod).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
My pedestal was leaking bad and I opted to rebuild it and keep the ebpv. I also made a custom adaptor for my Van turbo just so i could keep it.
I like using it as an exhaust brake and I like the crazy howling it does on cold days.
Thats just me though
I havent made a torque converter lockup for mine yet (auto) but intend on using it for a brake in the long run. I love that crazy howling too and get reactions and questions a lot from other truck guys surprisingly. Nothing like switching the EBPV and high idle on a cold morning.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

So will the factory AIC still work fine if I delete the EBPV?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribing.......waiting on more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.