How to stop Rear Fender Rust for Good???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to stop Rear Fender Rust for Good????

I am sure this has been covered a few times but I cannot find any good info that doesn't involve cutting out the fender lip!

I just found a few paint rust bubbles that popped through this winter, not too bad for a 13 year old truck!

I do not drive the truck in the salty Michigan winters unless I have to tow or haul something large, and I bought the truck down in Kentucky a few years ago so I guess thats why it has lasted as long as it has.

I want to put on some fender flares soon anyway so the damage will be covered, but I want to stop the rust for good and not just cover it up!!

I have read about a rubber or foam insulator that is installed by Ford in the problem area, I guess it holds water and road grime and causes this rot issue.

My question is how can I remove the insulator piece of crap that causes this problem? I would like to get to the rot area with a sand blaster and some POR-15!! Can I get to this area with out cutting out the lip of the wheel well in the bed?

This is my plan for fender flairs with some linex on them! (NOT MY PICTURES) just example
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ats-a795-855

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to stop Rear Fender Rust for Good????

Could also do what I did on my '05 Ex and bolt on four ten pound anode blocks. My bumper rubbed the paint off and if flaked off after a high pressure was three years ago. It has very little rust which unusual with all the salt they use on our roads up here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 AM

hi Rust can only be delayed once it starts. Where you are in Michigan, why not take it over to Canada and pay a visit to Krown rust proofing. I have seen older Canadian trucks treated annually with this and it puts our local, untreated trucks to shame. This process works by encapsulating metal and denying existing rust oxygen needed to do its work. Its affordable but needs to be done annually. My former Texas truck will have its first treatment this year to preserve it.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lght1 View Post
hi Rust can only be delayed once it starts. Where you are in Michigan, why not take it over to Canada and pay a visit to Krown rust proofing. I have seen older Canadian trucks treated annually with this and it puts our local, untreated trucks to shame. This process works by encapsulating metal and denying existing rust oxygen needed to do its work. Its affordable but needs to be done annually. My former Texas truck will have its first treatment this year to preserve it.

I know what you mean when you say when rust starts... but if I take the area to bare metal with a sand blaster and the coat with POR15 I think I will be safe, at least for another 8-10 years!! The truck wont see many more winters as I have another car for winter now.
Good to know about the Canadian rust treatment, never heard of it!
I did have the truck undercoated from a local company when I brought it up from Kentucky, it was some good stuff but I don't think they can stop the rust from this spot seeing as ford put that crap foam piece there!!

My main question is, can I get to this area with a sand blaster and clean it up without cutting the fender lip out? I do not really care about the looks seeing as I am going to cover it up with the flare!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
I know what you mean when you say when rust starts... but if I take the area to bare metal with a sand blaster and the coat with POR15 I think I will be safe, at least for another 8-10 years!! The truck wont see many more winters as I have another car for winter now.
Good to know about the Canadian rust treatment, never heard of it!
I did have the truck undercoated from a local company when I brought it up from Kentucky, it was some good stuff but I don't think they can stop the rust from this spot seeing as ford put that crap foam piece there!!

My main question is, can I get to this area with a sand blaster and clean it up without cutting the fender lip out? I do not really care about the looks seeing as I am going to cover it up with the flare!
hi the difference between Krown and traditional rust proofing is that they use a rubberized/petroleum substance that usually just traps moisture..and this only accelerates the process. i would repair any surface rust and rust through but seriously consider krown as the real preventative solution. i would also stay clear of anything that can trap moisture and / or dirt. fender flares and liners may be part of the problem and not solution.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Christ Follower

Go to your local hardware and get a bottle of Ospho. Use gloves and throw away paint brush. Chemical reaction stops rust. I use it in the marine environment and it will completely stop rust. Can paint right on top of it because it bonds like a primer. Great stuff. About $25 for a pint.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lght1 View Post
hi the difference between Krown and traditional rust proofing is that they use a rubberized/petroleum substance that usually just traps moisture..and this only accelerates the process. i would repair any surface rust and rust through but seriously consider krown as the real preventative solution. i would also stay clear of anything that can trap moisture and / or dirt. fender flares and liners may be part of the problem and not solution.
The rust undercoating I had done was not the rubberized stuff, it was like a think tacky oil type of stuff but I am not sure what the brand name is.

And yeah I know what you mean about anything that can trap moisture but these fender flairs will attach over the paint with clips in the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4 View Post
Go to your local hardware and get a bottle of Ospho. Use gloves and throw away paint brush. Chemical reaction stops rust. I use it in the marine environment and it will completely stop rust. Can paint right on top of it because it bonds like a primer. Great stuff. About $25 for a pint.
Good info, I will look into that stuff. I did just order some POR15 today, I have used it before with good luck, the stuff is crazy dries super hard and is still flexible.

What I really need to know is, do I have to cut out the fender lip to clean up where ther rust has already started?
As I said before I only have 2 small paint bubbles but I know where a little is visible there is much more that I can't see!!!

Last edited by chrispaine; 03-23-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM

The only cure to eliminate the common rust spots is to move to a better location. I live in Colorado where they do not use salt, etc and have never had any rust issues. The vehicles I have seen that have rust issues always come from other states that use salt or what not.

Supposedly there are items out now that will neutralize rust or help prevent it, etc. I do not know if they actually work. Just my $.02. I know it wasn't the best answer, but its the truth. Best of luck in your journey
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
The only cure to eliminate the common rust spots is to move to a better location. I live in Colorado where they do not use salt, etc and have never had any rust issues. The vehicles I have seen that have rust issues always come from other states that use salt or what not.

Supposedly there are items out now that will neutralize rust or help prevent it, etc. I do not know if they actually work. Just my $.02. I know it wasn't the best answer, but its the truth. Best of luck in your journey

As I said, I understand why I am having to do this (salt) but that is not the problem at hand. I know where I live does not help and at this point I cannot move because I have a rusty fender! !!
I just want to know if someone has already got into the inside of the fender where the wheel well meets to remove the foam and remove the rust with sandblasting.

I guess I just need to dig into it my self and stop asking because all I can get is "well you know its where you live and the salt that is causing it" answers.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM

hi unfortunately, anything that "goes over the paint", will trap moisture. take it from someone deep in the rustbelt, fix the rust and encapsulate it to deprive it of oxygen. krown works because it "creeps" to other locations and is sprayed throughout the truck. i know that fluid film is available in the us... why not have that professionally applied? dont use a rattle can for application. it simply isnt effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.