codes help engine dieing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
codes help engine dieing

I have a 2001 with an auto 4x4. I have a issue with it dieing when ever it wants. I changed the cam position sensor and fuel filter. It lacks power on occasion and the turbo kicks in for no appearent reason with no foot pressure applied to the throttle.

I have an otc obd reader with the follwimg codes 1247, 1210, 236. All appy to the turbo. Any help at this point for both problem would be grand.

Thanks Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What do you mean "the turbo kicks in?" Noise, elevated RPM? At what temps?
Is it like this hissing - Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...

P1247 Turbo Boost Pressure Low
P1210 Injection Control Pressure Above Expected Level - Idk how you think that's related to turbo
P0236 Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Performance

Might have an issue with your MAP sensor. Possibly with the ICP too, but maybe not.
What would be easiest is to monitor live data while it's messing up.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

p1210 I miss read that one on the scanner. When I hold the pedal at a steady state at a say 30 mph, under light load the turbo kicks in and pulls as if you were hard accelleration. This may seem exaggerated but the truck pulls when it should maintain steady mph.

What is the ICP?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One more thing It failed to start the other day. It started the when I got home from work with no problems. The dash wait to start and ck engine lights flickerd back and forth. The ck eng. came on the 2nd try and no wait to start
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM

a wiring issue maybe?? These things are also bad to have faulty under valve cover harnesses. Also, bear in mind...the turbo only responds (mechanically) to the amount of exhaust flow which is a result of adding more fuel. Example...when you mash the gas pedal more fuel is added which makes more exhaust pressure which spools up the turbo which creates boost on the turbo intake side. Boost is a direct result of exhaust pressure created by the engine. The turbo can kick in so to speak unless the motor is producing a response to a greater load. All the turbo can do is respond to that load. Now, on the other hand..if the exhaust back pressure valve is trying to engage at highway speeds (which it should not do once the engine is warm) it would seem like power is down, you would hear a noisy that could be mistaken as the turbo working harder and could also cause a staling problem if it was trying to operate at the wrong time. The computer may see that as a serious issue and try to defuel or stall. Not sure if any of that helps but hopefully it may. Also, as a side note...i did get a bad cps at autozone a few years back...truck died and would not start...i replaced the sensor and drove it home. Next day it stalled but restarted. Did that for several weeks until i replaced the cps again and it has been fine since.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM

sorry, just saw this...
the icp is a sensor located in the front of the drivers side cylinder head. Its about the size of a quarter and maybe 1.5 inches tall when installed. It reads and sends the computer a signal on the high pressure oil in the heads. The high pressure oil pump and its regulator can then change the amount of pressure available to drive the injectors. If this sensor is bad or going bad it could very well cause the driveabilty issues you described.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the acrronym def.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.