Thinking about sleeving my 7.3l PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about sleeving my 7.3l PSD

Due to some very unfortunate circumstances and one extremely shady shop my motor has blown up, it's now at a very reputable shop and they suggested instead of spending 5k on a long block get my existing block sleeved and rebored I don't know to much about that tho the shop said that its fine and will warranty and stand behind it so I'm not to concerned, but I would still like too now more about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

I know its common practice in big diesels, and I've heard of it being done to ours. if its good enough for million mile big rigs, I would assume it's good for us.

All the same, I would consider a low mile parts truck if you can find one, and are able to swap the motor itself.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
I know its common practice in big diesels, and I've heard of it being done to ours. if its good enough for million mile big rigs, I would assume it's good for us.

All the same, I would consider a low mile parts truck if you can find one, and are able to swap the motor itself.
Yeah the shop had told me that too that it common in big rigs and tractors so I pretty much thought the same thing, i have been looking still for a motor from a wrecking yard but it's such a shot in the dark but thank you very much for your input!!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadass7.3 View Post
Due to some very unfortunate circumstances and one extremely shady shop my motor has blown up, it's now at a very reputable shop and they suggested instead of spending 5k on a long block get my existing block sleeved and rebored I don't know to much about that tho the shop said that its fine and will warranty and stand behind it so I'm not to concerned, but I would still like too now more about it!
Uhhh, you ran into another shady shop. You don't sleeve a 7.3, that is what they do in big diesels not on our motors. And who is charging $5k for a long block? That's is more expensive than ford even charges. I paid $500 for a good compression forged long block that had 130k miles on it. You are getting screwed by a second shop. If you want, pm me with you location and I can give you the info to a legit shop that is around you that actually builds and specializes in these trucks.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Sorry for linking another thread, here's many people, including Golfer. Who as I understand it, knows his stuff.

can you put a new cylinder liner or sleeve in a damaged 7.3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

A quick google search finds many threads about people doing it, but it would depend, 1-2 cylinders, would be good. If you need to do them all then get a new block.

Now is that 5k installed? Or 5k just to get it for you?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM

I'll go ahead and rephrase what I said in my last post. It's not normally done on our motors, it's possible to do but kind of a pointless thing to do when you can buy a motor so cheap for these trucks. It's kind of a lot of work and effort to go through that when a used longblack is such a cheap option.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
I'll go ahead and rephrase what I said in my last post. It's not normally done on our motors, it's possible to do but kind of a pointless thing to do when you can buy a motor so cheap for these trucks. It's kind of a lot of work and effort to go through that when a used longblack is such a cheap option.
hi

you have spoken before about these cheap engines. G*d knows I have been looking into this for sometime and my experiences have only shown high mileage used engines at about 80% of a remanned long block, and that includes looking nationally.

Ford remanned are prob amongst the highest priced long blocks. I looked into ford last week and with them doing the install, the price was about $10,000.

If my problem turns out to be more than a uvch harness and / or injector, I plan on having to, not wanting to, spend $5500 and that's on the low side.

If you know of low mileage engines, and low mileage isn't 200,000 miles, please let us know. There are desperate people out there and I count myself is one of them .
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 AM

Its funny around here (NY) I can't find any buyers. I have 2 long blocks I am trying to get rid of. A early 99 with 125k miles and a 03 with 220k miles. Not sure if this helps anyone but just throwing it out there.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 AM

hi

the '03 is of no interest to me but what are you looking to get out of the '99 ?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM

The 2 places I know that have a pretty large supply of low mileage forged motors that will come with compression numbers aren't a sponsor here so I can't really post the name. If you end up needing a motor let me know and I'll put you in contact with one of the guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.