Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking to by my first f250 7.3l. Opinions?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Zaairman 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have an oportunity to buy a 2000 F250 Lariat with a 7.3l diesel and an automatic transmission. The crazy part is it only has 39k Miles and is in great shape. Is there any problem with the year? I know it will have the stronger rods in the motor. What about the transmission? Will it hold up? I plan on just putting an exhaust and chip on it. Will it shift hard with a chip? I posted some pics below. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
WELCOME to the site! I guess Id have to ask why does it only have 39k on it? If its all legit Id say you found a treasure!

#5 ·
the guys said an older guy owned it and used it to pull his boat to florida twice a year and then it sat in his barn when not in use. The current owner bought it from a local dealer with 30k miles on it and drives it to work 5-6 days a week. I am working a deal to trade my 00' 4x4 ranger with 60k miles (mint) and 9k dollars. Good deal? He had it listed for $21,500 onlines. he is looking to downsize and im looking to upsize!

#11 ·
Welcome atvkid! I'm curious why you would be worried about a transmission with only 30k on it. My nieghbor has 280k on his stock transmission. He doesn't pull much but still 30k is nothing.

#13 ·
im not exactly worried about it now, but down the road i dont want it to be the limiting factor if i decide to add a little to the truck. I will only be pulling my bass boat and trailer with atvs. nothing to serious.

On a side note..it has clothe seats and is a lariat? Was this an option? I thought all lariat were leather.

#17 ·
iOn a side note..it has clothe seats and is a lariat? Was this an option? I thought all lariat were leather.
Somebody either swapped the seats/badges or it could be a Lariat without leather. They're rare, but they did exist at first.

#14 ·
I just bought a 2000 F350 dually with an automatic. It has 177k on what I assume is the original transmission. It shifts fine, but I haven't tuned it. I am in LOVE with this truck. You can't go wrong with the 7.3.

You've got to wonder about the mileage on the one you're looking at. Is the carfax clear? Does he have maintenance records? If so then you've found a treasure!

#15 ·
the tranny in my late 99 went after i chipped it, had about 155k on it. Actually the torque converter went first, then i put a triple disc in it and 20 miles later the tranny went. But i will tell you I absolutely Love my PSD!!!! Sounds like a great deal to me!

#16 ·
My only concern would be exactly how long it sat waiting to be used. My truck sat up a while before I bought it and "non-use" can be rough on these motors. If it fires right up, accelerates effortlessly and shifts smoothly, then you probably would not have the same problems mine did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.