Headlight question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight question

I was putting in new headlights and ended up finding a short in the driver side headlight connector. Today I installed a new connector and the headlight now works. Everything looks good until I try to flash the high beams and nothing changes. When I push the lever forward, the lights go out completely. I marked the wires to make sure I spliced the wires correctly but it seems to me I still messed up. Does anyone know what may cause this issue ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe the high beam filament is toast?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do you mean by filament? I know the high beams worked before I wired the new connector. What would I do to fix it if this is the problem?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

you obviously mixed up the wires somehow.... or blew a fuse or maybe the relay is toast.

check fuses first then find a good dc volt meter to figure out what's happening. start with the headlight connector and work back from there.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. I'll check for blown fuses. I just wonder why the wires on the new connector are different colors than factory. I mean it had blue in it. Not sure how to use voltage meter but I guess I will recheck my wiring again. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Wire color is simply an easy tool for tracing on wiring diagrams. Aftermarket companies don't always care about matching factory style because they don't have to. Look at your factory plug. You'll see what order the wires go into it. Make sure they go into the new plug in the same order. If that's good, you have another problem. Does your passenger side work properly? If so, swap bulbs and see if the problem follows the bulb. If it does, the bulb is broken. If it doesn't, there is a problem in the wires somewhere. You said brights worked before you changed connectors, so either you messed up the wiring, or didn't make a solid connection in your splice.

Voltmeter is easy. Black lead goes to ground, red lead goes to hot. It doesn't matter too much if you get the leads backwards in this type of measurement. You'll simply read -12vdc instead of +12vdc.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. I triple checked the wiring of the new connector compared to factory wiring. It is the same. I then pulled new bulbs out and tried the old bulbs. Same result as with the new ones- no high beams. I then checked fuse #16 I believe, which after researching has led me to believe is the high beam fuse, and replaced it with another 30 amp fuse. Still get the same result. After searching, I have found several people have this exact same problem. The solutions have been the green/black wire being knicked up(therefore causing it to go to ground) and blown fuse (which I have already found to be fine). I am planning on getting a meter to check voltage next since the other things have not fixed it. Thanks for the help and I'll keep everyone updated to what the fix was when I find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.