Auto-lock hubs (Long) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto-lock hubs (Long)

I followed Guzzle's write up last night and disassembled my auto hubs and cleaned and lubed them. I did this because the other day when I needed them to lock they wouldn't. I couldn't turn them by hand so I resorted to a pair of pliers to get them to turn. After I got out of the ditch I tried to use the pliers to unlock them and that is when both sides jammed up and wouldn't move.

After they were disassembled I tried to move the selector knob and it was still jammed. So at this point I figured that they were junk so I began to investigate with them a bit. I was able to remove the selector knob without breaking them to much (both side already had a hole in each knob) and to my suprise they were filled with rust. So I cleaned them all up and reassembled them and to my suprise one still worked and the other one was broken (selector knob) when I was using my hand to install it back in the truck. So now I'm without 4X4 and one hub is not installed so I would like to get some form of a replacement here as quickly as possible. I know the Warn units are highly recommended, but the only downside is the auto lock will no longer work. Now I know it sounds lazy but I really would like to retain that feature if I could. I don't do any off roading or rock crawling etc....

So does anyone have a set of auto locks for sale or know of a pair out there?

Secondly my truck is an early 99 so is my auto lock hub different than the later trucks?

Now if I did go with the Warn units will they bolt right up to my early 99 or is there a conversion kit or something? I saw on Raul's site that the Warn hubs he sells are for 99.5 and up.

Now for what it is worth I took my hubs off the truck from start to finish using the methods described by guzzle's write up. I only say this because I have heard that the later trucks use a three bolt mounting system to secure the hub whereas my truck used a retaining clip almost like a c-clip. This is the exact same set up that I saw was on guzzle's truck so I'm not sure if my truck was converted to the later style or not (his truck is a 2002 FYI.)

Sorry for being so long winded and thanks for any help.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have a pair off a 2001 f350 that I just replaced I thought they were bad but it ended up being my wheel bearing. They seam to be in good condition.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
hmmmm, did you decide on how much you wanted for them??? i cant find a used price so what seems fair to you?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'm thinking somewhere around $150. Unless anyone want to traded a wheel bearing assembly for it. Slightly used of course.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
ok, give me a day or so. i want to see what i can find price wise here. is that ok with you???
Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'll check as well. I'll give you a day. But after that I'm going to have to get rid of it can't have my baby sitting any longer then she has.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

$150 for the set is a pretty good price. I've seen most of the used ones on the bay go anywhere from 80 to 120$ for one used one,and yes I did say for only one,pairs usually go for 200$ or more. This is from only what I have seen at the time I was looking for one.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

jnhuber,

What kind of shape are the hubs in. Are the selector knobs in good shape (no holes or chips that would allow water past them)? Do they turn freely? I have cash in hand now and would pay you the $150 you want immediately. I would be willing to negotiate a different price if you find that the hubs are worth more than that.

That is of course if they will fit my early 99 truck.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by MATREDGT; 01-20-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

Matredgt,

There are no holes or chips in it it looks pretty clean. The one I took of the driver side is hard to turn but I have been told buy one a tech that it just needs to be cleaned and lubed. I don't know if it will fit your truck but it came off a 2001 f350. I have not cleaned it because I don't have the time, I'm kinda worried about breaking it taking it apart or not being able to get it back together. I'm really needing to get a new wheel bearing seeing as how my truck is broke and now my wifes van is broke. I could use more than $150 but I don't know whats fair. let me know what you can do and we will make a deal.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

jnhuber,

Sounds good let me find out for sure if they will fit or not. If I don't get a reply on here tonight I will try and make it to the dealership and see if they will tell me.

So does anyone have any ideas on my other questions?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.