By-Pass Filter Question for 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
By-Pass Filter Question for 7.3

Hello All, question here. I put an "Oilguard" brand by-pass filter on my truck last year. I followed the instructions for mounting the hoses but this filter does NOT appear to be working. My oil is filthy as usual at 5,000 miles and I checked the by-pass filter element and it's only dirty just on the very outside. There is nothing inside the element if you cut it open, the middle is fairly clean. Does anybody know for sure which spot on the block is the OUTBOUND and INBOUND Oil flow? Basically the way mine is set up is they had me remove two plugs, one on the left and one on the right of my oilfilter and run the hoses from there. There must be something mixed up here. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Was looking at Oilguard like yours or FS2500 setup....did you have any luck figuring this out?

Could it be the bypass oil pressure is not enough to get the oil through the bypass filter? I see on the website that those Oilguard elements look pretty stout on the inside.

Last edited by bob00stroke; 01-29-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 AM

Yes, I worked with a rep from Oilguard and he said (and please somebody chime in if this sounds like salesman BS) that my unit was installed correctly and that visually it is impossible to tell if the bypass filter is working correctly. He said you have to send it in for analysis and that visually it's common for the oil to still get dark and cloudy even though the bypass filter is installed.

Now to ME...this sounds like bologne because on all the demonstrations I've seen the whole selling point is to take dirty oil and miraculously clean it before your eyes w/ this revolutionary filter. I've got some oil that has about 6000 miles on it that I'm gonna send in for analysis to get the real story. If it comes back bad I'm calling them up again.

Does anybody on here who has a bypass filter still get "dirty" looking oil and everything is actually ok? If I can validate his statement it'd make me feel better. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What I've read so far is that it may take a couple oil changes to get it to clean up but not sure if this is, for sure, true or not, still researching.

I was also thinking, and this is a long shot, maybe if it turns out the filter is too restrictive, you could use one of the Amsoil or FS2500 bypass filters if the threads would match the Oilguard fitting but Oilguard may make it so only their filter will screw on.

I noticed the Oilguard kit on there website looks like it uses clamp-on rubber hoses to the bypass filter, there must not be much pressure through the bypass filter if this is really what they give you.

Last edited by bob00stroke; 01-30-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Well I'm not sure about changing filter / or filter elements but I have heard that sometimes it takes awhile for things inside the engine to clean up. About the hoses, you are correct, there is not much pressure going to this filter. It's a press-on type fitting on the ends of the lines. I have to say that the hardward and everything involved w/ this oilguard unit is top-notch. It's all heavy-duty USA made stuff. I think at regular highway-speed engine RPMS about 1 quart per minute goes through the filter, so every 15 mins or so all your oil will get cleaned under normal circumstances. I saw no change at all in my oil pressure but did notice that my temperature was down about a half-needle width. Probably the heat getting blown off this filter while I'm driving and cooling the oil down.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM

i think it would probably take a few oil changes to clean up. mIne stays clean but ive been changing it every 3000 mi. I personaly woulnt go over 4000 mi, jmo. and on the oil pressure the guage is not a guage. just a dummy light. if you notice it never moves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.