Downpipe removal tricks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Blowin Smoke

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Downpipe removal tricks?

First thing in the morning I'm pulling out my factory exhaust and putting in my 4" turbo back! I've heard 4" downpipes can be a little tight. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions that may make the job go a little easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Some folks cut the original down pipe to get it out. I took the tranny cross member off to get mine out. The new one was shorter and went in fairly easy.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All I did to make it easier was drive the rear tires up on stands to give me some more room. Getting the V-band clamp off and especially back on is a pain. You will most likely need someone to hold the new one up from underneath while you are finagling the clamp around the two lips. I only snugged the clamp so that I could move it around a little to get it aligned... there was a shackle from the leaf springs that was fairly close to it until I moved it.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to pojo4223
you may cut the stock exhaust right where the DP straightens out. and be careful, your probably going to need to adjust the DP, they tend to hit the back of the head if its a true 4" DP. mine did even after the i adjusted it, and it was the worst droaning sound ever. i had to remove my entire DP again to make more adjustments ( hitting the DP with a hammer to create a dent so it wouldnt hit) other than that, youll LOVE the new exhaust im sure.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I see absolutely no reason to remove the trans crossmember for this type of install. It's unnecessary labor. Cut the downpipe at the bottom just before it bends and heads toward the back of the truck. If you've already loosened the clamp you can grab hold of the downpipe from the bottom of the truck and gently wiggle it loose. It should come out pretty easily. The new one should go in easy as well, but it helps to have someone help you line it up with the turbocharger outlet and put the clamp on.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Blowin Smoke

Finally done!!!

Sweet, thanks for all the advice. I finally just got it done! It sounds awesome, but it took me almost 6 hours from start to finish....

Anyway, it sounds great and the turbo is screaming now!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
6 hours?!?! for R&R on an exhaust system? How did it take you that long? Did mine in about 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:03 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A sawzall is all you need. Cut the DP just before the cross member. I just put a 4" kit on my father in laws truck new years eve in 2 hours. It was not my first one to install though.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Blowin Smoke

maybe I'm just slow

Yeah, I made a few mistakes along the way. Plus I was just taking my time. I had the pipe together all the way to the muffler when the downpipe flange came undone and I had to take it all back apart to get it back on Other than that it went rather smootly
Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker View Post
6 hours?!?! for R&R on an exhaust system? How did it take you that long? Did mine in about 45 minutes to an hour.
Not everybody knows what to do the first time...

I'm mechanically inclined but the downpipe whooped my azz the first time I did an exhaust install.

My first install probably took about 5 hours with hand tools only and final fitment.

I can do the same install now in about an hour though... just takes some experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.