Maintenance for 200k miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maintenance for 200k miles

Well 200k is right around the corner on my odometer and I am curious about the weak points on my 7.3L. I use this to tow a lot and I want to be sure everything is tuned up for my 200k mile mark. I bought the truck with 170k miles on it with unknown maintenance.

What are good things to replace that are common to leave you stranded?
I want to make sure that never happens lol

Recent fixes:
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Coolant Flush
Rear Axle Fluid Replacement
Driveshaft U-Joints Replaced
New Batteries
New brakes and rotors
New CPS
Tires and shocks are new also

Truck is in my signature.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM

trans and transfer flush, if 4wd, center support bearing. Also, from reading, seems to be the lifespan on injectors. If planning on keeping her, i'd invest in the AE or atleast the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Flushing the power steering fluid with fresh mercon is not a bad idea. I would also flush the brake fluid and lube the caliper slide pins.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Keep an eye on your water pump. Do the theremostat and hoses at the same time.
Watch for oil leaks in the valley. My turbo pedistal and ebpv actuator all started leaking around there.
turbo up pipes likely need doing as well
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check unit bearings and ball joints
Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

New front axle oil.
New vacuum hoses for 4x4.
New vent hoses for both axles.
CPS for the glove box.
Turbo rebuild kit. (optional, but it's cheap)
6637 intake kit. (folks like to claim K&N is awesomesauce, but why temp fate when problems are proven?)
More tunes for whatever chip you have, if for no other reason than an economy tune.
EGT and tranny temp gauges since you tow a lot

Check the wires on your shifter linkage. Mine was only causing OD to not be selectable, but others have experienced worse problems. I fixed mine with CAT5e cable. Works great.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Keep an eye on your water pump. Do the theremostat and hoses at the same time.
Watch for oil leaks in the valley. My turbo pedistal and ebpv actuator all started leaking around there.
turbo up pipes likely need doing as well
I just did the thermostat and housing already, what hoses do you have to replace? That a common maintenance thing?
Will a turbo rebuild fix the pedistal leak? And will an ebpv delete fix the actuator leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
New front axle oil.
New vacuum hoses for 4x4.
New vent hoses for both axles.
CPS for the glove box.
Turbo rebuild kit. (optional, but it's cheap)
6637 intake kit. (folks like to claim K&N is awesomesauce, but why temp fate when problems are proven?)
More tunes for whatever chip you have, if for no other reason than an economy tune.
EGT and tranny temp gauges since you tow a lot

Check the wires on your shifter linkage. Mine was only causing OD to not be selectable, but others have experienced worse problems. I fixed mine with CAT5e cable. Works great.
I have EGT, trans temp, boost and voltage gauges already. And the tune on the truck came with it so I have no clue what kind of tune it is. I will be getting a TW or DP.

As for the K&N, I have heard from lots of people that the K&N sucks, but I have a sleeve on the intake, which restricts water and sand from getting into the air, as for dust, I am in MI, it is rarely dusty here. Other than that why is the K&N bad? It works great for me
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have a look at All this stuff -> Failure Prevention Thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I have EGT, trans temp, boost and voltage gauges already. And the tune on the truck came with it so I have no clue what kind of tune it is. I will be getting a TW or DP.

As for the K&N, I have heard from lots of people that the K&N sucks, but I have a sleeve on the intake, which restricts water and sand from getting into the air, as for dust, I am in MI, it is rarely dusty here. Other than that why is the K&N bad? It works great for me

Very glad you have the gauges already. Towing with tunes and no gauges is bad mojo imho. Custom tunes are the way to go, and you can't go wrong with the big names. I've been told I should try some others just to find which I like the most, but the PHP tunes are pretty badass. It's my understanding that TW tunes aren't that much different, though there is enough that some prefer one over the other. I want to try his tunes just to figure it for myself.

I actually want to get the PHP Hydra chip just so I can run multiple tuners and figure out which tunes from which tuner I prefer.

All I've ever heard of from K&N is the turbo dusting, but one of the GPDA guys had the sealant internal to the filter come apart and eat up his blades. Could be a one off issue, but it's not something I would chance. That's just me though, as there are plenty of folks that have ran K&N for tens of thousands of miles and never had a problem. There was a K&N on my truck when I bought it, and when I inspected the turbo, it looked fresh and clean. When replacement 6637's can be had for less than $30, I don't see a good risk/reward ratio for me to run the K&N.

*Edit

Have you done the CCV mod? If not, look into it. Before I did mine, I looking around the intake pre-turbo and saw the oil build up. A little oil was also in the intake of the turbo. Changed around my CCV tube, and the problem is solved.

Last edited by Macon; 03-15-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM

CCV mod is that the hydraulic line mod for the fuel injectors?

As for the K&N, I am awaiting until I have a little more mods, then I will do the 6637, because I have heard nothing but good things about that intake.

I want to upgrade my injectors too before they go bad, so hopefully I have about 2 years left of them lasting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.