Alternator...spent $2, saved $250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator...spent $2, saved $250

The dashboard battery light pointed me to the alternator output guage and by that time, both batteries were below 12Volts. Auto parts store (really good independent) told me to check the connectors because they are often burned out. Well, mine looked good, but after pealing off the boot on the large wire, burn and rust were there.
Went to store and ordered up a new alternator, then got a new copper eye to replace the burned one. After doing that, mounted the old alternator just to test it...and Voila!
it worked fine.
Since this seems to be a common problem, suggest that your spare parts bin include a new eye (1/4" inlet, 1/8" eye) They also said that the multi-connect also got burned pretty regular, but I don't know whether a new one of those is available without getting the alternator. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 AM

well im not to good with the strokes yet but my main thought was you have a bad connection for anything to get burnt and rusted just seems like somethings not right to me..
Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 AM

This PSD was in Ohio for the first 6 years and rust got to the connection. My new connection isn't going to be covered by a full boot; going to coat it with CorrosionX so nothing gets trapped under the boot.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:56 PM

What connectors were rusted? The battery cables or the wires from the alternator.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:48 AM

On the top and rear of the alternator is a multi-connect and a larger wire that has an eye on the end. This eye goes onto a threaded post and that post and nut were rusted. That caused the connection to overheat.
The boot over the eye and post looked perfect. When I pried it off the post, it just crumbled apart and all the burn was easy to see. If you go to check yours, just have a new boot and new eye with you so you do the fix while you're there. I used CorrosionX to coat the eye instead of finding a boot that size.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Thanks, the post and boot looks good. My belt is loose. I think. I deflects quite a bit. I'll try that before a new alternator. Any 2 cents on a used alternator? Ant body? thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM

What voltage do the batteries show cold and then while the engine is idling? Does that voltage change when you turn on the headlights?
How much deflection with 10# of force (like placing the cork back in a wine bottle)?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Trying to get a charge.

New batteries were low when i bought them 2@ $85, about 12.2V. Truck running w/ 11.94V and turned on lights to 11.82A, turned lights off 11.93 V. That night I charged batteries for about 3 hours each to 12.6. Old belt flexed about 3/4 to 1 ". I replaced the belt and new belt does about the same. I think its time for a new alternator. $240 from NAPA, about $170 online and $75 from Junk yard. There is a large spectrum of prices for alternators. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Heck, I'd go with a used one. If it works today, it could go for 5 years. BTW, the local parts guy was going to sell me one for about $150, so shopping is worthwhile. Also, if you get a used one, you can get the old one rebuilt as a spare (or eBay). Not sure of the cost, but it's worth a try. When I removed my alternator, it didn't even require the belt being removed, just do the three bolts and make the rear bolt the last one to take off while pressing down on the alternator to keep the threads from dulling.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If you want the best alternators or starters go to DB Electrical. They will set you up, not the cheapest but quality!!
Never buy these lifetime warranty junk, unless you like changing alternators and starters.
NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.