Fuel Pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump

I am not certain, but I have a pretty good idea that my fuel pump is not developing normal fuel pressure. I have been looking at pumps and upgrades and I am not sure if I understand the system well enough. Can I replace the stock fuel pump on the frame rail with the Air Dog or Fass systems? For the most part I am running a stock 7.3L. Upgrades are a rebuilt turbo with a wicked wheel, 4 inch exhaust (deleted muffler) and an big AFE air filter. Tuned with Superchips (which I am not completely thrilled with). Oh, this is a 2000 F-250 CC automatic with 145,000 miles on it. I change the fluids pretty regulary and the fuel filter is changed when I change the oil. The previous owner was not what I would call a believer in preventative maintenance, so I am still resolving many issues of neglect. Any help is always appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
why not go back with stock? they normally have a good service life and if it ever goes down you can always get another as a parts store. with a fass you are screwed if/when it ever goes down
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's why I enjoy this site, I get opinions and guidance. My purpose in asking the question is getting the needed information to make an informed decision. My local parts store does not have the stock fuel pump, and the local Ford dealer is full of idiots and I refuse to do any business with them. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i understand. i had a fass pump on a dodge truck i used to have. besides being so loud that i could hear it over the cummins running, i was always scared to go on long trips with it(ie blew fuses multiple times without any reason).
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM

I wouldn't do FASS or AD. Too many issues. Stock is GREAT. Or FuelLab/Aeromotive pumps.
Why do you not think it's not getting up to pressure? Maybe it's your FPR or pickup assembly in tank. Those are more likely than a pump.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have to use a lot of foot to get the thing moving. It is sluggish and lacks power, with the rebuilt turbo and upgrades, I should have very little power problems. While pulling the camper last year, gentle hills were tough, had to downshift to get to the top and it was a faily mild wind day. So I rebuilt the turbo which was leaking and so now I am eliminating the fuel side of things. I suppose the injectors or the HPOP could be a problem or the lift pump in the tank. Please, any thoughts you might have to steer me in the right direction is what I am looking for.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 AM

No lift pump in tank, only on frame rail.
You're gonna start throwing parts at it. If you really wanna know what's wrong, you can make a fuel pressure gauge and see what it's doing as well as getting a data monitoring tool (AutoEnginuity or ScanGaugeII) and monitor EBP, MAP, ICP, IPR, injector tests, and all those other things.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Not trying to hijack this thread, but will the scangauge 2 do buzz tests and all that? Seems like a better option for me than ae right now. The price isn't terrible either. Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Scangauge 2 will not do buzz test, or cylinder contribution, but will monitor many other systems. I use it as a gauge as I can monitor TFT, BST, EOT, and many others. On my early 99 it would not monitor TFT but my newer one will. I also have autoenginuity and it is great for everything the scan gauge won't do. Buzz tests, contribution tests, abs etc. they both work great for me, and I wouldn't replace one with the other in my personal opinion.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 PM

To the OP,
Don't make assumptions like that about these trucks. You really need a gauge to confirm something like that before you bother to replace it.
Your issue could be a boost leak, old IPR, ICP, leaky up pipes, or a multitude of other things.
If you fill out your sig and spell out you issues we'll be happy to assist you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.