Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stock Programming Questions

677 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  strokin_early_99 
#1 · (Edited)
About 3 months ago I bought a totally stock 2000 7.3 4x4 crew with 148k and am still learning about these diesels. It runs OK now that I cleaned out the Exhaust Backpressure Tube & Sensor. I have ordered a Donaldson Severe Duty Filter kit for it and am going to do the zoodad mod.

My questions are:

1. How do I know if the stock programming in the truck's computer needs or has been updated, or even if the factory has ever put out updated programming?

2. If the stock programming needs updated, can only the dealer do it?

3. If I end up going with something like a Superchips programmer, does this write over all the stock programming or just parts of it? (If it writes over everything, then the factory program updates would not matter.)

Thanks a bunch.

#2 ·
ya i dont think u need to mess with it! i got a superchip that will work for your truck i will ship it to u as long as its in the us for 275! i bought it for 379 and i have only had it 4 months! comes with orginal box superchip sticker and code books! pm if interested

#3 ·
Any tuner that knows what they are doing can program a chip with the best/updated stock tuning out there. I think DP Tuner is the only one that can update the actual PCM. Keep in mind that if you want the PCM updated you need to send your PCM to him. If you order a chip with a stock setting then the chip will be sent to you. Plus you get the option of additional tuning if you wish to purchase it.

The tune overwrites two banks of the PCM. It is nothing like a chip.

Don't waste your money on a superchips tuner. You will end up buying a chip later anyway!!!Everyone always does....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.