Anyone have the DIY MAP fooler link? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone have the DIY MAP fooler link?

I found it a while back on here. It was a DIY thread and had pictures on where to put the diode and what kind to get. I searched around and all I found is that its a 4.7V zener diode. But I cant remember how it hooks up. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM

I finally found the thread. I just finished the modification and unplugged the waste gate line. I plugged both ends. I put my TS tuner on 100HP mode. I didnt feel much difference and the turbo did not spool any louder. I'll have to get my boost gauge hooked up and see what the deal is.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM

You must have an issue some place. I installed my wildman tunes and i tried it with out a map fooler and it defuled bad on all of the settings! I can now pull 32-34 pounds with the fooler hooked up and no cel!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM

I thought I would hear a drastic spooling sound and feel a difference. The same way car does when you go from 14lbs to 25lbs its a big difference. The 7.3 is stock at 18lbs right? With the wastegate unplugged it should shoot up significantly. I'm going to check for boost leaks
Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM

im not sure on the stock amount. my truck had an older superchip set on tow safe (40 hp) I started with the tymer intake, then shimmed fpr, then unhooked the wast gate, then cut the cat out, then the muffler, and installed wildman tunes and i can make 25 on econo setting and up to 32-34 on tow and extream. Im looking at turbos now! Do the cheap stuff and it all makes a difference!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM

yeah I have an 4" K&N intake, 4" downpipe, straight pipe exhaust with no muffler so the engine is breathing. I wonder if I have to set it to the 140HP mode to get the higherboost. But It shoots out a **** load of black smoke. Over here in the city Its hard to get away with that. I thought with more boost/air matching the higher amount of fuel should give you a better fuel/air ratio resulting in a cleaner burn..less soot?

By the way eaton which turbos are you looking at? I've been looking at Turbonetics upgrade that uses ceramic ball bearings and the Garrett dual ball bearing turbo. Did you talk to anyone that has either one? I wonder how much faster they spool off the line than the stock turbo. The turbonetics only comes with a 1.00 A/R housing..the Garrett offers .84 for better low end torque. I am not sure if the turbonetics ceramic bearings spin that much freely where they can run a bigger A/R reducing back pressure, EGT and allows for more HP all while keeping the low end torque?

Last edited by makaveli200369; 01-09-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 PM

not sure about the smoke. i can put mine on the 140 smoke setting and nail it and it will fill the intersection...ya its cool! but i pulled bobcat the other day on my trailer about 15-16k gvw on my tow setting and i could build as much boost as i wanted and was not smoking that bad but like i said i watch my boost gauge and try and keep it at 25-27 pounds. not sure buy i think your missing something some where. good luck
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM

one other thing that people have talked about is for some reason the 4.7 mod did not work for them. i went to the hardware store and bought a regulater and the fittings to do it the old school was, mechanical. I dont think your fooling the map and it is defuleing on you. are you throwing a cel?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Hmm I thought it worked for a lot of people? No codes being thrown. My truck has thrown the light in the 140HP mode before so I have experience the defueling. The light went on and the engine just went into a limp mode. After a few mins it went back to normal.

One thing I forgot to mention is the truck has a 10" lift on 37" tires with a 4.10 gears..maybe all that rotating weight and mass really cuts down on how much I feel
Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 PM

i have an early 99 so im leaning toward the d66, unless i can find everything to change over but i will probably go with the 66. I will make all the power i need...i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.