Cheap way to replace key? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheap way to replace key?

I only have 1 ignition key for my truck, and am not really keen on the idea of paying through the nose for a new one.

I've read about people bypassing PATS when doing 5.0 swaps from Explorer's to Ranger's by using one of the original keys and zip tying it in the steering column, or PATS module. Then just using whatever key they get made up for the ignition.

So basically, could I get my ignition key copied, and put the original somewhere in the steering column, then just use the cheap copies? Truck is an early '99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got new keys and key fobs for my truck from Amazon. I think it was about $7 for the key and $20 for the fob - all OEM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you shouldnt have a chipped key for your truck? they didnt come around until much later on the superduty's.. if you somehow had a chipped key there are bypass modules as my wifes expedition has to use one for the remote start, her 2nd key is up under the dash. of course this removes the security aspect of having a chipped key ignition - lol
but your should just be a standard key if you are a 7.3
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Oh I just assumed because its a big black key and I know ford was using them on other vehicles of the late 90's. I actually thought all cars with the big black plastic key ends were chip keys. Learn something new everyday!

I'm coming from being a broke kid driving 80's rangers to this. Bit of a new world for me! Thanks for the right answers lol. No wonder I couldn't fid anything searching.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Oh I just assumed because its a big black key and I know ford was using them on other vehicles of the late 90's. I actually thought all cars with the big black plastic key ends were chip keys. Learn something new everyday!

I'm coming from being a broke kid driving 80's rangers to this. Bit of a new world for me! Thanks for the right answers lol. No wonder I couldn't fid anything searching.
lol no worries, we all have to find out somehow.. i was actually mad when saw my wife and i have same year Ford vehicles and hers has chipped keys and mine doesnt. of course its just one more thing u have to deal with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.