7.3 winter ops. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 winter ops.

So in mid December I bought 8 new glow plugs, after testing the ones in the truck only 3 were still operating...... No wounder right. Do not knowing any better I bought 8 autolites. PLEASE don't buy autolites. I had 2 go out in 2 months. So after some research most people have bad luck with them. Saying the tips can swell yada yada. Well after reading that I'm scared out of my mind about havin to tear into the head... So I went and bought some Bosch glow plugs yesterday and spent the evening replacing them for the second time this winter. I have to admit I'm gettin more efficient doing this project. I've had troubles all winter with my 7.3 and most times if not plugged in overnight I don't even bother trying to get it Started till its warm. I have the stancor relay new plug and also I switched to Rotella 5w40 synthetic. It was actually on sale at the parts store. So I'll be curious to see how the cold weather, now that it's almost spring, does for me now! I work 11 days startin early in the morning and by 6 in the evening my truck would be hard starting. This was December January February kinda thing but still can happen still gettin into the teen where I live. I know there is plenty of write ups on here about similar issues. But the more the better I rekon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

im pretty new to diesels and all and youll have to get it confirmed by someone who knows better than myself but have you ever tried diesel Rx glow plugs? i believe XDP sells the plugs and relays. either was diesels seem to be pretty picky in the cold. you could also try plugging the heater into a timmer so it comes on like 3 hours before you need it.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I got the diesel RX glow plugs and they have treated me fine - after researching glow plugs these seemed like some of the best
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Plugging it in isn't the problem. Well kinda. What if I'm somewhere with no electricity? I already put Bosch plugs in. And have the stancor relay. But latest report is good. I also changed to 5w40 synthetic oil. And between the new plugs and oil starts and levels off just as I would dream of. Now the thoughts of selling the truck and going with some thing else are gone. Whew. A relief. Now I should be so worried about hard starts!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The Autolite GP's are notorious for having issues and swelling. Most choose to use the Motorcraft ZD-11's because of their good reputation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, cold, glow plugs, hard start, winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.