Train horn troubles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Train horn troubles

Ok i got my OBA and horn all set up and it worked perfect just the way it should...come out to the truck this morning...and the truck is dead

This is the setup i ended up using

Instead of the wire connected to the distribution box i ended up using fuse #27 in cab fuse box but i didnt actually have it hooked in overnight because i ended up needing an add-a-circut before i could actually install it and i was gonna do it this morning before work so the wire was just sitting between my floormat and the carpet so it wasnt grounding out or anything.

So i guess where do you guys think the draw is coming from because it totally drained my batteries from 7pm last night until 7am. So in 12 hrs it drained my batteries completely so its obviously a big draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
short to ground, or relay, or air solinoid? those are where I'd start... so basicly all the electrical stuff...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
short to ground, or relay, or air solinoid? those are where I'd start... so basicly all the electrical stuff...
But why would it still work fine the way i wanted it to if theres a short?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, was the tank empty when the batteries were dead? Could you have run the compressor for hours & hours? Because No relay or solenoid should be able to consume enough of the batteries reserves to kill them...

Maybe this is unrelated to the horns?

Also, isn't the horn sw, in the wheel, one that supplies Ground? (I wired mine differently, through a relay, at the wire going to the electric horn so I could switch between them)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
First, was the tank empty when the batteries were dead? Could you have run the compressor for hours & hours? Because No relay or solenoid should be able to consume enough of the batteries reserves to kill them...

Maybe this is unrelated to the horns?

Also, isn't the horn sw, in the wheel, one that supplies Ground? (I wired mine differently, through a relay, at the wire going to the electric horn so I could switch between them)
Well my luck is it would be the day my gf left her door open or something but i didnt check the tank but the power wasnt even on to the compressor because its key on power not constant.

as for the solenoid/horn switch no theres two wires that run to the stock horn and i just snipped them and ran them to the solenoid so when i hit the horn it activates the solenoid
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Train horn troubles

I'm no expert by any means, but, at the horn, are you on the ground side? I plan on doing train horns too, just want to make sure all the problems are worked out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabitawerm View Post
I'm no expert by any means, but, at the horn, are you on the ground side? I plan on doing train horns too, just want to make sure all the problems are worked out.

As far as the diagram goes it works perfectly as i wanted it to but im guessing i have something shorted or something stupid im missing. But when i first got it finally together it worked just as planned and i drove around town all day no problems
Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Train horn troubles

Keep us posted. If you're driving, it would be fine but it does sound like there is a constant power draw. I've heard that with the horn switch, it activates by using the ground side so if your are on the positive side, it may be constant.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabitawerm View Post
Keep us posted. If you're driving, it would be fine but it does sound like there is a constant power draw. I've heard that with the horn switch, it activates by using the ground side so if your are on the positive side, it may be constant.

The side that activates shouldnt matter right because its still a circut that only is hot when its completed hot to ground
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Again, any draw that would drain those batteries overnight, if good, would be More than any interior light, solenoid, relay, etc. can supply. As for a short, you'd melt almost any of those wires that be in a direct short. You have to remember the reserve those two, high capacity, batteries have!

It's either unrelated, you have bad batteries, or a pretty significant draw to do that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.