Problem with TW chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem with TW chip

I just got my tranny and gauges installed and everything was going great until it came to installing my new chip from TW. When I get the ECM out it was painfully obvious that there has been a chipped installed before, and it wasn't a good install either. The contacts for where the chip goes are pretty damaged, and the outside brass pins are pretty much gone. I went ahead and installed the chip hoping for the best and everything worked good except for high idle. At first it would stutter then start the hi-idle, then it just stalled the vehicle all together and it wouldn't restart, just turn over. If I remove the chip everything is fine, but with it in the truck is hit and miss. Does anyone know how to get the contacts better? If there isn't any way I guess I have a TW chip for a 99-03 powerstroke. I really need some help with this one guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
hey bud... can you take a picture to see how bad the contacts are? if its as bad as it sounds you might need a new PCM...... im not sure if you can add some sodder to fix it.... ill ask tony about what he thinks is the best way to fix this.....

-Raul
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, but I have a feeling I am going to need a new one too... Maybe someone else will have an idea on how to increase contact area.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
might just have to go get a junk yard compooper.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You need to get the chip out of the pcm before you fry them both if the contacts are that bad.

The contacts can be "retinned" if you are a competent at soldering on these type of boards, if not, find an electronics shop that is, shouldn't cost too much, or find one out of a junkyard as was mentioned.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 AM

Thanks, after breakfast I will pull it out and get some pics. I am pretty sure i know a place that can "retin" them.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildman View Post
You need to get the chip out of the pcm before you fry them both if the contacts are that bad.

The contacts can be "retinned" if you are a competent at soldering on these type of boards, if not, find an electronics shop that is, shouldn't cost too much, or find one out of a junkyard as was mentioned.

completely agree. i had to do this on a jeep that i had, i ended up taking it to a shop to get them to finish it. cost me like 20 bucks, and they wanted 130 for a PCM at the junkyard. i definitely take it to a electrical shop and see if they can retin it.

Later,

Bishop
Old 01-08-2008, 10:11 AM

It turns out the contacts are ok. But the comp in my truck is remaned with the code CKX0. My shop didn't even think that was a code for an auto truck. I emailed tony about it and will let everyone know what happens.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm very interested in hearing what you find out because I am having some problems with my TW chip also. I too have an early 99 250 and noticed that my PCM has a remanufactured sticker on it. I went to the dealer and they said nothing should be wrong with it... that they had to replace and reprogram many of the 7.3 PCM's. I sent my chip back to Tony and he is checking it out to make sure its on the up and up.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM

Well I sent the chip back to TW and my truck continued to run awful. If I would pull the comp out and reinstall it would run correctly again. I am pretty sure the IDM is out so I bought a new one. My UVC harnesses looked ok so I guess my IDM is my main problem. As soon as I get my new IDM and and chip back I will post up and let everyone know what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.