ZF-6 Clutch slips under WOT with tunes... fine in stock mode... Replace or wait ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF-6 Clutch slips under WOT with tunes... fine in stock mode... Replace or wait ?

Hey fellas,

I have noticed my clutch slips a bit when I have my chip on any tune other than stock mode. It tows fine in stock and of course with the tunes, but if I WOT it will start to slip, not bad but it will slip, then catch, slip then catch.

I tow a 6x12 trailer with mowers or a landscape trailer with mulch/dirt everyday. With this season coming up, I was considering taking the chip out so I won't be tempted to run it and just get through this season with the stock clutch. I am worried about it going tits up when the season is in full swing and I got to find a place and order the clutch etc....

As far as mods to the truck:

103K Factory clutch
AFE intake
MBRP 4" exhaust, no muffler and MBRP down pipe
Boost fooler
Diesel Innovations 6 position chip.
No lift or big tires

The truck runs good and strong, I am all about getting the south bend clutch when the stock goes and ditching the dual mass flywheel. Should I just bite the damn bullet and do this clutch before the season starts up here or limp her along? FWIW, I have felt the slip in the high tunes for probably 4-5 months. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it now slips with the less powerful tunes but I can't get it to slip in stock tune mode.

What say you fellas?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can anyone recommend a good transmission shop in Georgia? Prefer the Augusta area or North Augusta SC side????
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM

Mine was doing the same. I replaced it with a southbend before i got stranded. Or needed to tow and couldnt.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel View Post
Mine was doing the same. I replaced it with a southbend before i got stranded. Or needed to tow and couldnt.
Did the southbend clutch seem overly stiff to you? I have read a few posts about folks saying it was really stiff...?

A truck with stock injectors and a chip would it be wise to get the dual disc top model by southbend? I don't plan on bigger injectors or turbo ever on this truck. She pulls good like it is for me so I just want to have a beefy clutch that I don't have to worry about failing on me.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Buying a clutch too big for your application will cause the same issues as having one too small for your application. So many times ive seen this and maybe done it a time or too. Best thing i would suggest would be looking on Southbends web site and following their guide lines. Also contacting Peter is a good idea. That man knows his products!

Something often overlooked is tire size. bigger tires need a bigger clutch to handle the same power. Extra rotating mass makes extra clutch stress.

I have the Southbend CON O and the peddle is soooo nice. Lighter than stock for sure. Commuting is a breeze . Ive been running it for 4 years. Its a great Daily Driver clutch.

I just installed a 1939DF | 1939DF Clutch and Pressure Plate Only. The peddle is heavy. way more than stock. However the customer runs power huge tires and tows heavy so it fits his needs fine.

Shameless Plug. I get them from Diesel Parts & Performance for Dodge,Ford,GMC,VW,Tractors,combine good pricing free shipping. Never let me down in 10 years of dealings.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel View Post
Buying a clutch too big for your application will cause the same issues as having one too small for your application. So many times ive seen this and maybe done it a time or too. Best thing i would suggest would be looking on Southbends web site and following their guide lines. Also contacting Peter is a good idea. That man knows his products!

Something often overlooked is tire size. bigger tires need a bigger clutch to handle the same power. Extra rotating mass makes extra clutch stress.

I have the Southbend CON O and the peddle is soooo nice. Lighter than stock for sure. Commuting is a breeze . Ive been running it for 4 years. Its a great Daily Driver clutch.

I just installed a 1939DF | 1939DF Clutch and Pressure Plate Only. The peddle is heavy. way more than stock. However the customer runs power huge tires and tows heavy so it fits his needs fine.

Shameless Plug. I get them from Diesel Parts & Performance for Dodge,Ford,GMC,VW,Tractors,combine good pricing free shipping. Never let me down in 10 years of dealings.
In your opinion will the CON O hold up to towing daily with my chip on? I don't run big tires. I towed around all day yesterday and didn't feel it slipping at all. I think I am just going to make my clutch choice, buy it so I have it in hand and when the stocker starts to give a bit more I will just have it installed and hopefully having the parts in hand will reduce the down time. I hope!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Tough Call.

I kind of wish id gone with a con OFE now. But i run 35 inch tires. And my truck weighs a Hefty 8200lbs unloaded. And it never is unloaded.

The Con O has been good for me thus far. I do get a little slippage when i put the power to it with more than 6000lbs behind it. It does drive nicer than stock tho.

Ive had this clutch in the truck for about 4 years and its seen some abuse. Heavy towing heavy foot. Big tires and some HP. even made a trip to the drag strip a time or 2.

Id buy the Con O again if i had stock tires.

Next time im going Con OFE

Options Available:

1. Con O - Using 2 Performance Organic Facings (Smooth engagement)
2. Con OFE - Using 1 Performance Organic & 1 Feramic Facing (Moderate engagement)

What ever you go with make sure it get broken in before you start towing and putting power to it. Trust me. It will last longer and help avoid future. problems
Old 03-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I scheduled my install for the new clutch. I think I am going with the south bend 1944-6OK 350HP/750 Ft Lbs model. A bit overkill for stock, but I tow 5-6 days a week, not heavy loads but lots of traffic and highway merging where I need the extra power from the tuner and hopefully this will be a good combination. I have been driving for the last 5K miles with it slipping over 2K RPMS with the hotter tunes. Now I can hardly use my tow tune (my fav) without it slipping. I am really looking forward to being able to see what the truck can put to the ground without worrying about slippage.

Deputy, how would you go about "breaking in" the clutch? Just be gentle and run it for a few hundred miles before major tuning or WOT?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Thats good news. should be a good setup for what your doing.

Break in should be about 500 miles. Around town driving. I tell customers. No power and no towing for 500 miles. And send in your warranty card!!!!!! Then you should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.