Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

So thought ild share a story.

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Lucky Eddy 
#1 ·
about how i got my truck. ill start off by saying im 18 and no im not a spoiled kid whose parents buy them an expensive truck. i did however inherit the truck from my dad. My dad was a firefighter for Ventura city for about 30 years of his 32+ years of service. When i was 13 he went to the doctors office after having some lower abdominal pain and a lot of prodding by my mom. that day they determined he had colon cancer most likely caused by exposure to toxins on the job. within a few weeks they performed a surgery to remove a tumor the size of a softball. he then underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment. later on down the road when we thought all was well they tested again and the cancer was back. they did surgery twice more to remove the colon cancer and when it spread to his sacrum (a bone in the lower back) they removed most of the sacrum and a few of the vertebrae in his lower back. he continued with many expiremental procedures and intense chemotherapy until late last year the doctors said the cant do any more surgery and they can't do anymore chemo. his body has had as much as it can take. late in january of this year he developed a blockage in his intestine and the cancer had metastasized to his liver and was not allowed to have solid foods. he entered hospice care the day my mother flew me home from Wyoming on the 10th. he always kept his sense of humor and one day he called me into the room he was in and asked me if i liked his truck. i said yes. then he said "do you want it?" i replied yes and then he said "you can have it. be sure to put diesel in it". he was joking the whole time i was home wether it was telling his older brother "pop the champagne and kiss my A$$ goodbye" or playing jokes on the nurses until he slipped into a coma for three days. he passed on the 16th of february just as the sun set after a long 5 year battle. it makes me proud that he trusted me with one of his most prized possessions and i intend to do with it what hes always wanted to and to make this thing last.
to any of you who sat through all of that reading theres a little more if you choose.this is the links to the press release and the obituary if you want to know a little more.
The Passing of Retired Fire Captain John Duff | City Of Ventura
John Duff Obituary: View Obituary for John Duff by Charles Carroll Funeral Home, Ventura, CA

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry to hear about your Dad... My Dad passed away back in '09 and it still sucks to this day... I'm not going to give you all of the old cliches and b.s. about loved ones passing, but it sucks and you will get through it in your own way and in your own time. Wait, could that be considered cliche??? Anyway, it's good to hear you have your Pop's truck. Enjoy it while you can, since you only have one chance to. :nod:

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about your dad too, Sounds like a great guy! Hope you enjoy and cheris that truck:nod:

#7 ·
thats sorry to hear man that all sounds terrible. glad you got the truck and i hope you enjoy it. if you got any questions about anything or need any help with the truck just ask us.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about yer dad... nearly lost my own to liver cancer 2 yrs ago. Make yer ol man proud... take good care of his truck. My condolances to you and your family.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
Tough

Tough to lose your dad at any age - my condolences young man.

You have the ruck as a reminder of your dad and his legacy to you.

Try and keep it up maintenance wise, and drive it with due respect to your father as a reminder of his time on this earth with you.

18 is a hell of a time to have to suddenly grow up - BUT - you can fight and die for your country at 18 (even if you can't legally drink alcohol, that sucks - its 18 here).

18 - 25 ish is sort of the time to be young care free and at times a little irresponsible - to travel and get those sorts of things out of your system before you settle down to raise a family.

In your case you have to start a little earlier than some others is all.

Dedicate yourself to only making decisions and taking actions that your dad would have approved of.

That way you likely won't go far wrong and would have made him proud.

Also don't be too tough on yourself...aim to have your crap fully together by time your say 23...if you can.

Non of us knows when our numbers up.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease, birth is a death sentence, non of us gets out of this alive, and you can't take anything with you.

Live each day like it might be your last, and do to others as you'd be done bye.

You can do fine and your dads given you a jump start - so make the most of every opportunity.

Avoid bad company.

Be good to your mother.

Best of luck to you and may God bless you in all your endeavors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.