Backup sensor inopperable - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Backup sensor inopperable

Recently bought an 00 7.3 excursion.

The switch for the backup sensor is constantly highlighted "off". Even tried in reverse, with no change. Where should I start in trying to find out what's causing the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Winning DUHHH

Need to replace the transducers in the bumper

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yep, the dealer can tell you which one is bad. (Well they did on my '11) plugged the new $110 (!!!!) sensor in, and it worked instantly.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah mines the same way, someone told me that when one goes bad none of them work....so you have to figure out which one it is...."BIG" how much did it cost for the dealer to run the test for you?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt90 View Post
yeah mines the same way, someone told me that when one goes bad none of them work....so you have to figure out which one it is...."BIG" how much did it cost for the dealer to run the test for you?
They told me which one was bad when I brought it I to them before I bought the truck. I was having them do the whole checklist / 80 pt inspection.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If you know someone with an AE it'll tell you which sensor is bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There are more than one issue with these back up sensors. Most commonly is failure of one of the sensors but there are more parts to the system than that. One being the speaker that makes the "beep" sound and can also be somewhat common. From what I understand if the "off" illumination on the button for the backup sensor is ON or lit up only when you go in reverse, then one of your sensors is bad. If the "off" is lit up all the time regardless of gear your in then you either have a bad speaker to sound the alarm or "beep" sound or another failure within the backup system. You can run a test to test the sensors. Turn the key on (engine off), put Ebrake on, put trans in reverse, go back and listen to each sensor (ear directly on each sensor) for the sensors clicking. They make a fairly rapid clicking sound normally when in reverse when the sensors are operating normally. If there is no clicking sound or the clicking is slower than the others, this is your bad sensor. While this sounds odd or possibly confusing, I promise you it is not a hard to do test. Very easy and will make perfect sense when you opt to do this. If all your sensors are "clicking equally" you dont have a sensor issue, possibly the little speaker or another failure within the backup system that would need a "scan" for proper diagnosis. The scan performed by a mechanic that owns the proper scan tool or the dealership, can also tell you wich sensor is bad if you rather that option. For me personally, I like to try to diagnose my own problems and only move to a mechanic or the dealership if I have to...best of luck...

Last edited by mygt8a4re; 10-15-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Christ Follower

usually it is not a sensor that is bad. It is usually the speaker for the sensor which is located inside above the passenger side tail light area A 20 dollar part or you can take apart anything with a small speaker and solder it in place. I used an old house phone speaker and it took about 10 minutes start to finish.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is great info and Im sure you are correct in terms of the "X's". The test I stated is universal with all the Fords with backup sensors, as far as testing the sensors. Unfortunately the X's have a different speaker location than the Superduty pickups. Im not 100% sure but I believe the speaker and main controller for the backup system is located behind the passenger kick panel up front on the Superduty pickup trucks. It could also be "year" dependant as far as location os concerned....
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

trade it for a f550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.