how to count leaf spring leafs?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how to count leaf spring leafs??

Iv got a broken leaf on my truck and i can order individual leafs on rock auto but how do you count them?

top to bottom or vise versa???

here is a picture of the leaf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 02:21 PM

I believe its top to bottom, but could be wrong - My 6 spd is in need of a 4(th one down counting from the top) on my driver side.

LMK if you find out for sure, but I can only imagine that's how its done - and don't order the last one from Rock Auto!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Odd...the same one is broke on my truck. Wonder how common this is?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM

Mine too, 4th from top, on the back end of the passenger side . . .

I don't tow heavy enough to need to replace it; plus I also have helper bags back there.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM

I called my local spring shop - they informed me "They have to be replaced as an entire pack" and wanted $225 for the pack.

No - I know you can buy individual leafs - nice try.

And in my perusing the interwebs, I came across someone from a shop saying the top spring represents spring number 1 in the pack and you count downward (with the thicker spring being 5 in our case)

I'm going to call the junkyard tomorrow and see what they want for an entire pack - if its cheap enough I'll go that route for ease of installation. If too much, I'm just going to order a single leaf and put it in when it gets here.

Its really nice having 2 trucks - if 1 is down it is no longer a major issue. That being said, I have no clue how many thousands of miles I have been driving around with a broken rear leaf.

Last edited by ProOnThaSnow; 03-04-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have the same problem and according to McVeighs' Truck Springs found on Ebay, it is very common for the #4 spring to break. I ordered mine from them for $52 (counting the shipping). Search for "NEW REAR REPLACEMENT LEAF '99-'07 FORD F-250, F-350 SD" and you will find what you need.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This happened to my dad's CCLB SRW e99 about 8 years ago. He has a utility box full of tools all the time so the truck weighed about 10k pounds. A good spring shop will pull apart the pack and replace one for pretty cheap. He had them replace the broken one and add one on each side for $250.

Also, kind of interesting the shop had seen this issue a lot and said they believed it was because the springs were tempered in Mexico therefore they didn't do well in cold climates. I have no idea if this is true but seemed like a reasonable explanation.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braco View Post
This happened to my dad's CCLB SRW e99 about 8 years ago. He has a utility box full of tools all the time so the truck weighed about 10k pounds. A good spring shop will pull apart the pack and replace one for pretty cheap. He had them replace the broken one and add one on each side for $250.

Also, kind of interesting the shop had seen this issue a lot and said they believed it was because the springs were tempered in Mexico therefore they didn't do well in cold climates. I have no idea if this is true but seemed like a reasonable explanation.
you rock man!!! ill be ordering one of those soon!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs is where I bought all my stuff to replace everything above the rear axle on my truck. I had a broken spring as well and was afraid of just replacing one side. So I did both sides, shackles and u bolts. It raised the rear of my truck 2" from where it was when I started. I measured both because I wanted to know. It was very easy to do as long as you have the right tools. I am lucky I work at a place where I use BIG 3/4" socket sets and impact tools. Plus I had a fork lift at my disposal so I used it to lift the entire rear of the truck. -Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.