Auto 4x4 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto 4x4 problems

99 F-250 w/ auto hubs... I know that I should probably just change to manual, but I would like the auto to work. Before the weather got cold, the auto would work. Since its gotten cold up north sometimes it works and sometime not. More time not! From what I understand two possible problems. #1 seal on driveshaft? or #2 hubs? How do I figure out where the issue is? Is there a simple way to check? Oh, If I manually lock hubs, the 4x4 works fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
if your driveshaft is spinning then your TC is engaging and its your hubs.... not sure how cold its getting their but water can seep into the hubs and when it freezes it expands and screws them up.... i finally said forget it and switched to Warn Premium hubs....
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Most likely it is a vaccuum leak. There is a seal inside the wheelbearing assembly. If that goes bad you loose vaccuum. Which in return does not allow the hub to lock automatically. I would do a vaccuum test on each hub. To see if it is holding a vaccuum. When I replaced my wheelbearings I found out that the passengerside seal was bad. Which is why my hubs would not lock automatically. Now I just lock them in manually.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM

so how do i know if driveshaft is spinning? if i turn switch to 4x4 you are saying that the shaft should be spinning . not to be stupid, but I'm the least handy guy you'll ever meet. I live in N. MN and its about -10 right now. with the wind, about -20 thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
so how do i know if driveshaft is spinning? if i turn switch to 4x4 you are saying that the shaft should be spinning . not to be stupid, but I'm the least handy guy you'll ever meet. I live in N. MN and its about -10 right now. with the wind, about -20 thanks
yes if you switch to 4x4 have someone move your truck forward and it will move..... if your hubs are messed up your 4x4 will not engage and tires wont spin...... i know because this is what happened to me....
Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned

k..i was born and raised im montana...and ive seen this many times before..

what you have going on is a hub seal leak. There are two main seals for the vacume....the backside hub seal that is pressed on...and the yellow o ring on the hub that seals the hub...

one of the two is leaking on at least one side and thats why the its only happened as the weather got cold...as the seal shrunk...the problem presented itself...
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 PM

Great, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 PM

Marc, so is there a kit to replace the seals? If so, and I get it fixed, will the new seals last for awhile or will the same thing happen soon after changing.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Marc, so is there a kit to replace the seals? If so, and I get it fixed, will the new seals last for awhile or will the same thing happen soon after changing.
there is no kit....you will need to either pull vacume on both sides to determine which side is leaking....or just replace both sides if you want to be really save and or not test it...

as far as the new seals.....ive seen them last 10k and ive seen them last 250k......both in montana climates. Its not predictable and i really cant say how long they will last...but on average they are about a 100k seal in cold climates from what ive seen...
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

also know that there is a special installer for the backside hub seal that is not cheap......it allows you to press the seal on......you cant install the seal without it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.