looking at winches... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking at winches...

i'm looking at buying a winch for my truck and was wondering if this was enough of a winch, and does anybody have one? just wondering. if anybody can guide me in the right direction that would be great.

thanks in advance,

bishop

Warn 9.5ti Thermometric Winch this is the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

The general rule of thumb on winches is to buy one that is rated 1.5 to 2 times bigger than the weight of the vehicle it will be pulling
Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well i work for myself part time, doing welding/fabrication, and recovery services. we don't have a lot of hills or rocks around here, so i'm mostly pulling people out of the mud. and most of the people i pull out are stupid people that go in a brand new truck by themselves. the guys that are serious about in always have their own winches. i had a small 5000lb winch on my silverado, but it's worn the crap out. i'm gonna replace it but don't pull myself out "very" much. know what i mean? but i guess i'll need about a 10 or 12000 pounder huh?

thanks

bishop
Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

For your truck yeah a 12 thousand would be the ticket. Yeah I hear ya lots of people in the ditch in my neck of the woods this time of the year Warn is one of the best winches, but you also pay for it
Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hey thanks man. i was looking around at them but their REALLY expensive. but from what i've always known about winches, is that you get what you pay for. i don't really need the winch, but it's nice to have. i pulled an H2 out today with some snatch straps. the guy was some business owner wearing penny loafers and slacks driving a 70,000 dollar paperweight, getting pulled out of knee deep mud by a freaking redneck driving a 18,000 dollar real truck.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM

You would at least want a 12000 and I would carry a block just in case, It all depends on your use. I have had an electric Warn and it is great for short pulls and long pulls with lots of beer as it is cooling down you should have plenty of battery for it.

But for serious off road like my jeep i have a mile marker 10500 hydrulic runs off of power steering it just keeps pulling and pulling with no real heat.

When I put one on my 1-ton it will be the 12000 mile hydrulic.

It is a big debate on hydrulic vs electric on the jeep side because if the engine is not running the hydrulic is not working but if the big truck is on its side you have more problems than that LOL
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

HaHaHa those moments are always priceless
Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well running this R.S., i don't pull many things very far. but i want to be able to if i want too. i mostly get calls to get stock trucks out. shhoooot, monday i went to get an 08 jeep 4door out of some mud. guy was dumber than a football bat, still had the paper tag, and buried to the door handles on the passenger side. i ran some straps to his hitch and my tow hooks, grunted and had him out. but i wouldn't have even had to get the straps out had i of had the winch. but times like the one i found myself in this past weekend i want enough winch to pull a house down. a friend with a PS was pulling out a 2500 cummins, and they both got stuck. i got them both out, but once again, the winch would've been nice.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Sounds like you need the Hydro hard to beat, the mile marker it is on the Army Huv's it is a little slow they say but I like slowly but surely alot
Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Warn 12k or Mile Marker.... i have a Miler Marker 12k on my truck.... this one is bad a$$ though Stealth Automotive. Warn 16.5 Self-Recovery Winch

Mile Marker will be cheaper priced but still very good quality.... let me know if i can help you out in any way

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.