I figured I would start a journal for the truck, just to keep track of things as I go. Hopefully it will help others in the future when doing installs, and give others an idea on real world results on modifications and such.
First off my truck is a 2001 Crew cab, long bed, Lariat, 4x4.
I bought the truck from a good friend of mine who was the second owner. I have every reciept for maintenance since the truck has had 17 miles on it. The truck now has 245xxx on it, and will go up as it is used mostly for daily driving and towing the race car. I do not plan on going into some all out build on the truck, just making a reliable and somewhat fun truck to drive.
Modifications as of today are as follows....
Banks High boost compressor wheel and exhaust housing
Banks Big head wastegate
Banks 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler
K&N intake with surround
PHP 6 position chip
Custom Valve body
Wheels and tires
20% tint all around
Factory Ford step tubes
Roll up bed cover
Pop up bed hooks
So as you can see the truck doesn't have that much done to it right now. I have purchased another 7.3 forged rod engine to do a semi build on as I go, but am in no hurry to get it finished. I will keep updates in this thread of the engine build process as well. The truck did have a few issues when I purchased it, and I have been busy trying to correct these small issues. The problems I currently am working on are....
AC not working all the time
4x4 working when it wants to.
So, we will start with this list. Plans for the next week are as follows,
Replace uppipes with International Bellowed kit from Riffraff diesel.
Drop truck off for new orfice tube and have AC recharged.
Waiting on boost gauge to show up, have EGT, and trans temp. "I wanted something different, so I have modified the gauges to my liking. More on this later.
I have ordered all the parts to convert from ESOF to standard shift 4x4 from Ford. The parts are supposed to be in on Friday and I will update everyone with a step by step how to on converting and retaining the OEM electronic transfer case.
Complete LED instrument cluster and matching led gauge lighting
For now all I have is a few pictures of the Uppipes after ceramic coating. They are now wrapped in high temp wrap and sealed with DEI silicone sealant. I will get more pictures up later once everything is dry.
For those of you that have seen these in person, you will know that the collector is rather rough and has some pretty large casting ridges in it. I was not completely happy with this, so I went ahead and ported and smoothed the collector out with a die grinder and carbide burr. Its kind of hard to see in this picture, but you get the idea.
Now, is that going to make a huge difference, probably not, but it has been in my 11 or so years of experience with turbocharged engines, that the exhaust wants to flow in a smooth, straight line. Not up, over, or around large bumps in the exhaust tract. I figured I had it off the truck already, so why not try and help it out just a little bit.