2006whitesti's Journal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
2006whitesti's Journal uppipes/ESOF delete upadated 3/1/13

I figured I would start a journal for the truck, just to keep track of things as I go. Hopefully it will help others in the future when doing installs, and give others an idea on real world results on modifications and such.

First off my truck is a 2001 Crew cab, long bed, Lariat, 4x4.

I bought the truck from a good friend of mine who was the second owner. I have every reciept for maintenance since the truck has had 17 miles on it. The truck now has 245xxx on it, and will go up as it is used mostly for daily driving and towing the race car. I do not plan on going into some all out build on the truck, just making a reliable and somewhat fun truck to drive.

Modifications as of today are as follows....

Engine
Banks High boost compressor wheel and exhaust housing
Banks Big head wastegate
Banks 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler
K&N intake with surround
PHP 6 position chip

Transmission
Custom Valve body

Wheels and tires
Stock wheels

Misc mods
Pioneer 5700dvd
20% tint all around
Factory Ford step tubes
Roll up bed cover
Pop up bed hooks

So as you can see the truck doesn't have that much done to it right now. I have purchased another 7.3 forged rod engine to do a semi build on as I go, but am in no hurry to get it finished. I will keep updates in this thread of the engine build process as well. The truck did have a few issues when I purchased it, and I have been busy trying to correct these small issues. The problems I currently am working on are....

Uppipes leaking
AC not working all the time
No gauges
4x4 working when it wants to.

So, we will start with this list. Plans for the next week are as follows,

Replace uppipes with International Bellowed kit from Riffraff diesel.
Drop truck off for new orfice tube and have AC recharged.
Waiting on boost gauge to show up, have EGT, and trans temp. "I wanted something different, so I have modified the gauges to my liking. More on this later.
I have ordered all the parts to convert from ESOF to standard shift 4x4 from Ford. The parts are supposed to be in on Friday and I will update everyone with a step by step how to on converting and retaining the OEM electronic transfer case.
Complete LED instrument cluster and matching led gauge lighting

For now all I have is a few pictures of the Uppipes after ceramic coating. They are now wrapped in high temp wrap and sealed with DEI silicone sealant. I will get more pictures up later once everything is dry.

For those of you that have seen these in person, you will know that the collector is rather rough and has some pretty large casting ridges in it. I was not completely happy with this, so I went ahead and ported and smoothed the collector out with a die grinder and carbide burr. Its kind of hard to see in this picture, but you get the idea.

Now, is that going to make a huge difference, probably not, but it has been in my 11 or so years of experience with turbocharged engines, that the exhaust wants to flow in a smooth, straight line. Not up, over, or around large bumps in the exhaust tract. I figured I had it off the truck already, so why not try and help it out just a little bit.

Last edited by 2006whitesti; 03-06-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a picture of the gauges, I know the one says diff temp, but I had it laying around from a build that never came to be, and it is the exact same gauge as the trans temp, just says diff.

These started out as standard Sport Comp series gauges. I just wanted to do something a little different. Still waiting on the boost gauge to show up.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As I promised, here is a picture of the parts you need from Ford to do the ESOF delete. As many of you know, this system seems to have many faults that can all be repaired, but If you are like me and need your 4x4 often you don't want the system not working when you really need it. I have decided to switch to the floor mounted 4x4 engagement while retaining the OEM electronic transfer case. I will give a complete parts list and write up as I go.

Also here is a picture of the passenger side uppipe after it was wrapped in high temp wrap and sealed with DEI high temp sealant. I do not recommend doing the wrap without the sealant, as diesels are often quite messy engines, and the last thing you want is the heat wrap being soaked in fuel or oil and catching fire.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subscribed Great write up/photos
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks.

Here is a small update on the manual 4x4 shifter install.

First you want to pull back the carpet and expose the glued/screwed on cover that is in the floor pan from the factory. You will have to remove the plastic door sill to expose the edge of the carpet. It simply unsnaps from the bottom. Just pull straight up.

There will be two screws holding down the plate and a ton of glue. You will want to start a small pry bar or the like under it, careful not to dent the floor. I found a heat gun makes the job a ton easier.

Once you have the panel removed and most all the glue scraped away( a sharp chisel will help here) you can roll the carpet back and replace the plastic door sill.

Start with a good razor knife and make a small hole first.

Now you want to take the two halves of the boot assembly apart.

You can use the bottom rubber portion to gauge how much carpet needs to be cut away to make room for the assembly. All sides of the rubber portion should be showing. Remember to go slow, and don't be afraid to make numerous cuts before you get it perfect.

Once you have the carpet trimmed to your liking, you can then reassemble the two pieces of the shifter surround and screw it down using the factory holes. It helps to get all four screws started, and then tighten them down slowly.

Now vaccum up, have a beer and stop freaking out that you just put a gigantic hole in the floor of your truck.

I will do my very best to get this finished up this weekend and post the rest of the install instructions and pictures.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
subscribed
price of everything to convert to floor shifter?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh yeah, I forgot to include the part #'s and such. Here ya go....

Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Keep in mind you are still going to need the rod from the linkage to the transfer case engagement gear, and will have to fabricate a locator onto the original gear. I will get into detail on this as soon as I can.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry guys I did not get a chance to finish things up just yet. I have been super busy on other things, and we have had horrible weather. Hopefully, I will be able to get the rest of the things done this weekend. All I have for now is a few pictures of the gauge install and new led instrument cluster and hvac controls.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subscribing for the transfer case swap. My truck is all how I want it besides the electronic shift. Once you get a full write-up Im gonna have to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.