PSD in the sand - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PSD in the sand

My wife and I are about to hit 20 years of marriage. She expects me to plan a trip and take her some where. Been to the beaches on the East and West Coast. Was thinking the Gulf coast in Texas this time.
Question 1, I noticed there are some beaches you can drive on along the gulf. Will my PSD 4x4 do ok in the soft sand? I don't plan to run sand dunes or anything but would rather not have to submit to some dodge owner pulling me out. I have 285-75-16 all terrain tires. I haven't found a snow yet that would stop it but it tends to sink in the mud.

Question 2, ladies, will romantic walks on the beach, a little jetsking, and good food / drinks cover me on a 20 year anniversary? Anyone with advice on Galveston or South Padre hot spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
look for a place called Crystal beach, You take a farry ride over to this island. there is a bar and condos you can rent for the weekend. AWSOME place last time i herd about it.

Here is a link to the site.

New Main Page of crystalbeach.com

Last edited by slammedSI; 01-02-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My Fave is Port Aransas. Its close to Corpus and you can drive on the beach all you want. You dont have to worry about getting stuck because they keep the beach clear for traffic. I like it cause you can back right up to the beach and party right out of the back of your truck. My Mother in law lives about 20 miles from South Padre Island so we go there alot. I prefer to drive on the beach and keep everything in my truck instead of lugging coolers and chairs accress a parking lot to the beach. The problem with So. Padre is that it gets really crouded from the Neibors from the South (mexico). You have to drive about a mile out of town and then drive down the beach about 2 miles to get out of the croud. I Love Port Aransas so thats always my recomendation for folks wanting to check out the Texas Coast. The Galveston area is nice but the water isnt as clean to me.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Addicted to Diesel

Send a message via AIM to cowboyupamrka Send a message via Yahoo to cowboyupamrka
Your truck should do fine in the sand. I have the same tire size and at 20 psi was pulling all kinds of people out of the sand without a problem. and if you worry about it, you can always go lower on the psi. And i know you were asking the women but as a guy, as long as that is the kind of stuff she likes i would say that would be great.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I tow regularly to Oceano sand dune in Ca. with a 29' toyhauler, loaded. when you get to the sand. 4 low, lock your front, lower tire pressure to 15 all around and have a little fun.
also might think about Oregon, they have some very nice dunes that you can drive on, although might be a little more fun with a quad or sand rail.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i second port arransas. there are some great beachy restauraunts there and they keep the beach groomed so its easier to drive on. ilived in corpus for 4 yrs and port A is the way to go. just dont plan on arriving on a weekday at 5pm, rush hour over the ferry sucks.

if you are looking to do some fun trails i can give you gps coords to some fun stuff in port a.

about the psd in the sand, you can and will get it stuck easily in soft stuff. the front end will sink to the axle faster than you can blink. youll thin your doing fine untill you hit a spot of powdered sugar and then its break out the rope time.
drive close to the water, it stays more packed there.

and wash off the truck really well after playing in the sand

chicks love port aransas, its a very relaxed beachy town. my wife says go to the pelican resturant, they have great food.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 PM

Port A is the way to go. Also South Padre is excellent. I go fishing out of Galveston and Freeport all the time and I know the water is alot better the further south on the coast you go. Stay in the wet packed sand close to the water and wash the truck really well when you are done. That saltwater spray is not nice to your truck!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Galveston is the place my wife and I love to go to, we stay at the Hilton Galveston Island Hilton Resort or The San Luis The San Luis Resort, Spa & Conference Center - Galveston Island, Texas Gulf Coast. My wife prefers Hilton for their Pool and bed in the new section. Then You could get her a spa treatment at the San Luis (same people own it) it is just a short walk over from the Hilton. The beach that you can go to during the day to drive is at Crystal Beach just hope the ferry over from the island. Lots of good food right on site is Landrys
A lot of fun is to drive to old down town by the Wharf and walk and shop the shops there. Good food there to at the Pier.

As far as driving Crystal Beach I have never had any problem with my truck and you will go to jail if you act stupid there motto is ZERO Tolerance and they do mean it. You also would have to buy a permit $5.00 to Park on the Beach any store sales it.

Hope you are talking later in the Year, We do enjoy going during the winter but there are not many people and it can get rather cold with the wind off the water.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97bluestroker
from a lady's point of view.... if you know these are activities she enjoys then go for it! i know that'd be something i would like to do... but whatever you end up doing, make her feel special! good luck and have fun
Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM

What you should do is go in the sand with full pressure get stuck and just before you have her help you dig the truck out hand her a shovel with a bow, then look at her and say happy anniversary. I WAS JUST KIDDING but yeah 20 pounds psi in the sand would be fine. And happy anniversary to you both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.