Neglected/abused Powerstrokes! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Neglected/abused Powerstrokes!

I got this idea from a motorcycle forum I was reading, they love their bikes like we love our trucks.

Let's rant about the incompetent owners, mechanics, drivers of these. Does not have to be your truck, just one you know about, or even better if you're the one who fixed it!

I'll start with my Early '99:

-8" lift with too short of driveshaft
-Driven with #7 injector unplugged from ~3 months
-Incorrect PCM code for tuner so ran like crap
-Leaking oil cooler for who knows how long. Coolant came out almost totally black
-AUX Driving lights wired to the PCM fuse!!
-3 Different Autometer gauges on a 4 pod A-pillar mount..... None correctly installed, or working.
-Lariat leather seats swapped in. No power hookups ( truck is an XL) and only 2 bolts used for the drivers seat, 1 for the middle, and 3 on the passenger
-Big hole cut in the bed for a stack, thankfully no stack exists. Hole appears to have been cut with one of those gas powered saws.

No wonder I got it so cheap

Let's here the horror stories! Could be a fun read if this gets going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Bought my truck in December not running. Finally got around to pulling the injectors. Had 4 AD, 3 AA, and 1 AB. And this was a 2002 F350! Truck was beat to hell!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Bump lol Theres gotta be more good stories like that.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 AM

we have 4 trucks rangeing from f 250 to f550 with the 6.0's in em and my boss wont let me put the delete kits in em .....................no wonder why we gotta work on em he puts anyone and everyone in em and to top em off there plow trucks so they get the ever living s*&^ beat out of em
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I looked at my truck the original owner said it was sluggish. The HPOP was dripping oil continuously and visibly in the valley. He replaced that and gave me the receipt. The mechanic that replaced it did not replace the fuel bowl compression fittings ($13) and all the diesel leaking after the HPOP replacement sure helped clean the valley out. I had to fix that.

The truck is a 2000 and he had 2006 or 2007 18" wheels with backspacing for an independent front suspension (not leaf sprung front axle like my 2000) which would rub, he then put 35" Terra Mud Grapplers with 2" side lugs which when combined with the incorrect backspacing only allowed the steering wheel approximately 120 turning radius. He said "Yeah it's a real b*@ch to pull the camper". No wonder Mr.Brilliant! I swear I had to do a 47 point turn to get out of the gas station parking lot on my way home from buying it.

The most recent amazing thing I have discovered is he put the 2005 headlight conversion in the grill, but instead of buying the correct H13 bulbs and wiring pigtails, just used a tube of silicone to hold the old 9007 bulbs in. To top it off the bulbs were two different brands and two different brightness. Boy I hate getting to know a used vehicle and trying to figure out where the previous owner took shortcuts!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 AM

I have an 06 F250. In Oct 2010 I am overseas when the wife tells me my truck is leaking oil. So off to the dealership it goes. Bed plate leaking, under warranty. Fast forward to Oct 2011, overseas again, trucks leaking again. So back to same dealer. They tell the wife "o it will leak every 10,000 miles because it's a high pressure system. So I finally get home and take it to a different dealer. Come to find out, YES IT WILL LEAK IF IT"S HAD RTV CAKED AROUND THE EXISTING LEAK. So finally it was fixed right. Ford Motor was nice enough to give me a 5% discount on an oil change for the "inconvienance of incompetence of one of their dealers.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

talk about FACTORY TRAINED FORD MECHANICS...UNBELIEVABLE.

These 2 guys i know..(twins). The 1, has ;ifted truck, can not turn a wrench at all, i mean, he'll brake a sparkplug, when removing from a jetski..that type of mechanic. His motor oil, when drained, will stain EVERYTHING, leaks like a siv, has the exhaust leak popping sound from p/s...BUT, keeps on truck'n

His brother, litle better maintained, but run'n wvo thru the factory d2 side..., has taken its toll. We did the "cabinet" oring kit on everything, and when removing the fuelbowl, inspected the d2 fittings, and i swear, the fuel had about a c#nt-hair opening to feed the rails. Turbo leaking everywhere...but after a day wrenching, its breathing new life.

's
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 AM

Neglected/abused Powerstrokes!

The thing I hate the worst is seeing people start their trucks & immediately slam the throttle on their cold engines... So stupid!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I work on psd's atleast twice a week whether its a 7.3 or 6.0 or the rare occasion 6.4, I could be on here for a week straight and still not tell you all the horror storys from lack of maintnance to just cobbed up jobs Ill just tell you about mine when i got it. It had a Rancho lift that was probably put on by the keeblers elves. They had left the over load springs off, used standard bolts two sizes to small for the shocks, had three 6" long bolts holding the sway bar end links on. One of them had a lugnut holding it together and there werent even any bushings in them! The track bar bolts were loose. It had 5 wheels and tires on it, 6th wheel was in the bed due to a busted belt. Oh and the front wheels were on the back and the back wheels on the front and on top of that it had an almost brand new set of nitto 305/70/16 with 2 little cheap and broken 1/4 wheel spacers between the back tires (hence why the one tire in the bed had a busted belt from the tires still touching) and barely 3 threads of lugnut holding the outer wheel on. Wait im not done! The drivers side window had been busted out for a year(thank god it has been parked in a barn since then).Had purple window tint that had enough air bubbles to make you think you were under water. of course the ball joints were slap wore out. It has been repainted with the cheapest silver paint you can buy, original color of the truck is blue and they didnt even paint the door jambs. The hook for the safety chains for the gooseneck was just bolted to the bed support. I bought this truck from a lady that had been awarded it in a divorce and was hiding it in my neighbors barn for almost a year. When i bought it had only 98K miles and i bought it for the price of high mileage 95 ford taraus,lol it now has 121K and has been a great truck after fixn the problems, thank god the engine and drivetrain were untouched
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The guy I bought my 00 from thought the tranny was blown. Turns out the turbo boot was blown out, air filter clogged up, and the driveshaft had a bad u joint/carrier bearing/slip yoke. The loss of power and terrible vibration made him think tranny was bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.