New Diesel Owner - Need Input... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Diesel Owner - Need Input...

I just recently obtained one of these beasts "PSD". Big change coming from a car. The truck currently has 298,000 miles, it starts and runs very good. Runs and drives so good they must have done some big time maintenance on it to keep it running. Or is it normal for these to run for such a long time without an engine rebuild? I do know the transmission was rebuilt by Ford dealer at 190K miles, how long do they last if no heavy towing?

I did an oil change this past weekend, since the window sticker showed it almost due. Seen some videos on youtube on changing the injector oil but I thought it circulated with the other engine oil, is this true?

The previous owner put a K&N filter in it but reading these forums the K&N is the worst of the filters. Should I replace it with the stock filter until I can get the cash for another aftermarket filter?

It has new Moog ball joints, tie rod ends, and track bar, but the steering is loose. I had my brother move the steering back and forth while I watched, I didn't notice any movement. Is the steering box worn?

What other things can I check on this truck to be sure all is good?

How many miles do you guys have on your trucks?

Last edited by Mr.Ford; 02-27-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Winning DUHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ford View Post
I just recently obtained one of these beasts "PSD". Big change coming from a car. The truck currently has 298,000 miles, it starts and runs very good. Runs and drives so good they must have done some big time maintenance on it to keep it running. Or is it normal for these to run for such a long time without an engine rebuild? I do know the transmission was rebuilt by Ford dealer at 190K miles, how long do they last if no heavy towing?

I did an oil change this past weekend, since the window sticker showed it almost due. Seen some videos on youtube on changing the injector oil but I thought it circulated with the other engine oil, is this true?

The previous owner put a K&N filter in it but reading these forums the K&N is the worst of the filters. Should I replace it with the stock filter until I can get the cash for another aftermarket filter?

It has new Moog ball joints, tie rod ends, and track bar, but the steering is loose. I had my brother move the steering back and forth while I watched, I didn't notice any movement. Is the steering box worn?

Yes they run great for hundreds of thousands of miles, yes ditch the k&n, yes the hpop is fed by engine oil, don't worry about that oil when changing engine oil it will circulate out. My bet us yes, a worn box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I Mis-read. And deleted.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

Depends on how it is maintained and driven.

No need to change it, that guy isn't the sharpest.

Look up the 6637 intake on here. Will cost you under $40.

You can tighten the steering box. There's instructions on here for it.

Added my answers to your quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

300k + miles, runs great and starts on single degree days without plugging in
I love it
Good luck with yours
Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM

any smoke? blowby while idling ,with the oil cap off? Then i'd say, with 298k, that k/n did alright...

Congrats on the purchase
Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 PM

280k on completely untouched stock obs. Ok i lied....fuel pump changed 2 times. Getting one tomorrow with 380k on it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
any smoke? blowby while idling ,with the oil cap off? Then i'd say, with 298k, that k/n did alright...

Congrats on the purchase
No smoke out the tailpipe, unless at hard acceleration and tuner set at high HP setting. I did the oil cap off test, I do see some oil vapor rising but the cap doesnt blow off, it will vibrate off the side.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
No smoke out the tailpipe, unless at hard acceleration and tuner set at high HP setting. I did the oil cap off test, I do see some oil vapor rising but the cap doesnt blow off, it will vibrate off the side.
thats a good sign...

161k on mine, 30k with wvo. Done the usual prev maint / mods. Did blow up a turbo though...stupid wastegate line disconnected ALONG with the ICP resistor in..(10k mod).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.