Here is where I started where do I go first - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is where I started where do I go first

Newbie here and need some help. I just bought a 99.5 f250 crew cab 7.3 220,000 miles. I know it had new injectors 4-5 years ago and ball joints 3-4 years ago. Changed filters and fluids. It has loose steering and likes to wonder a little. Left 4x4 hub is froze up and had a bad vacuum pump that I replaced but still have a leak. O and fuel gauge is stuck.

I am trying to figure out what I should do first and what would be best return on investment to make sure it all works right before I start adding any performance stuff. Read a lot of post and think I am confusing myself. Already did air intake mod. Wanting to know what the first 5-6 things you would clean, change, fix,etc to make it run better, be reliable, perform better overall.

O and bought the truck for $4k, body little ruff but motor and tranny seemed strong. Hope it wasn't a bad deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's a lot that could be recommended ...
Gauges - pyro, trans, boost (my forth one is an aeroforce scan gauge) in my quad pillar
Coolant filtration - the one I'm gonna get is from dieselsite.com
Hutch/harpoon mod (in tank fuel mod)
Pre fuel pump filter
Exhaust - 4" turbo back
Fix your fuel gauge issue
Fix vacuum issue
Have you greased the front end
If 4x4 check transfer case
Flush transmission and add transmission filter kit
You could add a tru cool transmission cooler or get a 6.0 powerstroke transmission cooler

Most of this is monitoring/maintanence/preventive
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply, got the items for the hutch mod which will hopefully fix my fuel gauge. Ordered the parts to fix my wheel hubs, pricing the trans cooler and filter. The dieselsite.com looked like a good deal on that stuff.

What about the EBP cleaning and CCV mod. My truck does seem to drip a little oil from the motor.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Conservative and Proud

BTW
Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM

I personally haven't explored or plan on exploring the ccv mod because depending on how you do e ccv mod I've seen where some individuals have had a weird back pressure or lack of pressure in the crankcase by having it modded where others never have a problem

Mine isn't dumping much oil into the tube and I randomly take it apart and clean the oil out from the inside of the tube at goes from the air cleaner box to the turbo
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM

And my thought is 4k isn't too bad of a price at all - ill be curious how you'll fair, in regards to the misc problems
After I bought mine within the first 7 months I had to replace both batteries, starter, alternator, gpr, glow plugs, carrier bearing - the starter wasn't because it was bad but i went with a high torque starter whereas everything else crapped out
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea first looked it over it seemed good few minor things but turns out there is a lot of small fixes that are adding up. But I needed a heavy truck and around here really high mile diesels are still selling for a lot. Thanks for all your help
Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

NChornet makes a great ccv mod kit that works well. i believe stealth automotive sells them. Best part about the small repairs and this forum is you'll learn your truck inside and out. Good luck with the repairs
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99bft View Post
Best part about the small repairs and this forum is you'll learn your truck inside and out. Good luck with the repairs

That's how I got where I am and am learning more everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.