Fitting 2 10" subwoofers in my 99 supercab - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fitting 2 10" subwoofers in my 99 supercab

Just thought I'd share this idea,
I wanted a couple of subs in my truck, but didnt like any of the options out there. All the boxes Ive seen either take up too much space and you cant fold the back seat down, or they are tiny low profile boxes that dont look like they wouldn't put out very much. What I ended up doing was mounting the speaker box in the bed of my truck underneath my tool box, and then porting it into the cab behind the passengers seat. The box itself is made of 3/4" MDF and is a 3 chamber box with each chamber being equal size. I made the box so it would barely slide under the tool box, it is about 28 inches wide and 13 inches deep. I mounted 2 10" subs in the box, one in the left chamber and one in the right chamber both firing into the center chamber. The center chamber is sealed and the left and right chambers are ported from the side facing the cab of the truck with the port holes entering the chamber in about the center of each chamber. For the ports I used 4" pvc. Now to deal with the flex between the bed and the cab I bought a rubber flexible pvs couplings from the hardware store. This is basically an 8" length rubber tubing with a 4" ID. When I cut the port holes in the box I cut them to the OD of the rubber tubing (PVC coupling). I then used a razor knife and cut the rubber tubing into 1" rings, you will need 4 of them. Before assembling the speaker box I placed the side peice with the port holes up to the the back of the bed where the box was going to be placed and then traced the port holes onto the back of the bed with a sharpie. I then used an air body saw (harbor freight $20) to cut out the holes in the back of the bed (you will use alot of blades and the air saw blades can get expensive, just cut off lengths of a hacksaw blade they will fit in the harbor freight body saw). I then transfered the pattern to the the cab by carefully drilling many holes around the perimeter of the port holes I had just cut into in the bed into the cab. Now I had a perferated pattern of holes to follow on the inside of the cab. I then followed the circle of holes and cut the port holes into the cab from the inside of the cab. I assembled the box, coated the outside with Thompson water seal and then black outdoor paint. I then epoxied one of the rubber 1" wide rings into each port hole. I mounted the box in place and used "L" brackets to mount it to the bottom of the bed, and then ran some screws from inside the bottom of the tool box into the top of the speaker box to secure it. Then from inside the cab I inserted the 2 4" PVC ports each approx 7" long through the holes in the cab and into the rubber lined ports of the speaker box. I then inserted the last two rubber rings between the PVC tubes and the holes I cut in the cab. You dont want rubber rings around the holes in the bed you only want rubber rings in the speaker box and the cab, the PVC ports need to pass through the bed with plenty of clearance for body flex. I then used black silicone to seal around the rubber rings in the cab. I mounted a small sub amp under the passenger seat, drilled a small hole through the cab and bed and ran the speaker wires through it, and then sealed the rest of the small hole with black silicone. The only down side to this whole thing is perminently cutting holes in your truck, but I dont plan on ever getting rid of mine so Im not too worried about it. Its been there for about 6 months and I hanvt had any problems with leaking or with water damage to the box. It sounds really good, most people who get in my truck look around and ask where the subs are? Hope sombody finds this idea useful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I dont know whether to say thats ghetto or thats cool, but it looks clean. you must have some big ones to cut up your truck like that
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
thats awesome how is the sound inside your truck?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
I dont know whether to say thats ghetto or thats cool, but it looks clean. you must have some big ones to cut up your truck like that
It doesnt bother me too much to cut the holes, I can always weld the patches back in, and they are behind the seat anyway. I just didnt want to lose my backseat or ability to fold it down to put subs in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmasters40 View Post
thats awesome how is the sound inside your truck?
It sounds really good. Its funny when someone gets in the truck they start looking around confused wondering where the subs are.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Too funny.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Or you could have just used some good shallow mount subs under th erear seat like me.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to somebodyelse5
can you post up some more pictures??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.